•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does Anyone have Experience with the Panther TTS-160 Az Mount?

astrophotography EAA equipment mount reflector
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Boston

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:37 AM

Hi All:

I'm a bit frustrated with my current mount and am considering the Panther Mount. My needs are primarily EAA Observing with live stacking/aligning of short subs ranging from 4 secs - 20 secs. I also have no access to the north sky from my primary observing location so a high quality AZ mount seems the best 'fit'. 

The Panther seems to fit the bill but requires lots of 'bills' to acquire so I'm hoping some of you have direct or indirect real experience with this mount and can pass along your impressions and advice. The Panther Mount enables guiding and, with an optional de-rotator attachment, can provide 2 hours of 'equatorial-grade' tracking should I ever need it. Here's a link to the manufacturer's information:

https://trackthestar...elescope-mount/

I really appreciate any insights and will look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers,

Gary

#2 spkerer

spkerer

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:45 PM

I'm quite happy with mine, but I use it strictly for visual observing, so I don't have the rotator attachment.

It's quick to setup and very sturdy.

You don't need to level it (just have it level enough where its not as risk of tipping over, which would be obvious).

Alignment is quick and easy.

The handmade controls are good, but different so take a like getting used to.

I use a SkyFi when I want to control it via SkySafari on my phone.  If I'm just sticking with a few object, I'll often not both with SkySafari.

• 25585 and GaryShaw like this

#3 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:00 PM

I have the Panther and love it! Much more ergonomic than a GEM. Easy to transport. Fast to set up. Very accurate GOTO performance across the sky.

At the time of purchase I also picked up the rOTAtator so that I could get started in imaging. That part of the plan has not materialized yet (and may never happen), so no comments on that.

IMG_2614.jpg
IMG_2151.jpg

• Tyson M, 25585 and GaryShaw like this

#4 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 16 September 2020 - 02:06 PM

There is the Mammoth TTS too, with price to match!

#5 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:39 PM

I've read positive things about it here on CN and it looks very well made. The one concern I'd have is long term (>15 years) support. Will the (small) company behind it be around if, say, the controller needs to be replaced? I hope so and I'm happy Niels created this mount but keeping a business is hard. I mentioned the controller specifically because mechanically the mount looks very solid. Electronic components can fail, however, or the controller damaged inadvertently.

#6 spkerer

spkerer

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:22 PM

Here's a photo of my TSA-120 on my TTS-160.

The only concern I have about the mount is that expressed just above - the whole "small business" aspect of it and what that might mean if there's an issue 15 years down the road.  But that's not stopping me from absolutely enjoying this mount!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0768_small.JPG

• RazvanUnderStars, gozer and GaryShaw like this

#7 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:24 PM

Here's a photo of my TSA-120 on my TTS-160.

The only concern I have about the mount is that expressed just above - the whole "small business" aspect of it and what that might mean if there's an issue 15 years down the road.  But that's not stopping me from absolutely enjoying this mount!

In 15 years, I will have gotten my moneys worth. Of course I hope it goes much longer!

But this sentiment did affect me in a different way. Looking down the road, I thought imaging would be a real possibility. But what if TTS was no longer in business? So, I bought the rOTAtor as part of my package. Just in case.

Over a year later and I am still no closer to imaging than reading Bracken's Imaging Primer ....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, EAA, equipment, mount, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics