•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY Polemaster question on last screen...

accessories polar alignment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Etrsi_645

Etrsi_645

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Schererville Indiana

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:39 PM

On the last screen I see Polaris, two square boxes, a very small red thingy, and a very small green thingy.  After I "start monitor"  the only thing I should do is match-up the red and green thingies?  The seeing was so bad that both just danced around the screen making it well nigh impossible to place one on top of the other..  So just get it as close as I can?  And what are those two boxes?

Edited by Etrsi_645, 16 September 2020 - 10:23 PM.

#2 scadvice

scadvice

Vanguard

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:53 PM

I usually shut Polemaster down and restart it if I get that bouncing around. Then I check to make sure everything is secured tightly. I only recall one time that not improving it. 

I'm guessing here.... But simply, I think one of the colors represents where the polar center position is by the what the camera see's and the other is the calculated position of where the mounts polar axis is. 

Edited by scadvice, 16 September 2020 - 01:55 PM.

#3 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:24 AM

My experience -- the 'bouncing around' is from poor seeing.

Yes, you are suppose to 'match-up' the two indicators - the last screen is for extra precise alignment - and it might not be necessary if you are doing low-rez imaging - and it might not be possible if your mount has poor alt/az adjustment accuracy or holding ability. With some mounts you can adjust to perfect alignment - and then when you tighten down the alt/az axis -- everything shifts. That's a mount issue, not a PoleMaster issue.

Using PoleMaster on a Win7 or Win10 laptop - I have found that it helps to use Windows' built-in 'magnify' feature - slightly different operation between 7 and 10 - but easy. Check your Win docs. I 'magnify' and shift PoleMaster into the magnified section of the screen for the final red/green thingie adjustments. After that is done just switch Win back to 'normal'. It really helps see the screen and with the adjustment.

Edited by George N, 18 September 2020 - 10:25 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, polar alignment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics