•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore scientific 80mm f/6 fcd100 ed apo and field flattener

astrophotography beginner dslr refractor filters
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NormFox

NormFox

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Newman, CA

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:37 PM

Hi Everyone, Newbie here with a question.  I have been a photographer for a number of years, but caught the astrophotography bug (better then COVID-19!) recently. I am currently looking/buying an Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 fcd100 ed apo triplet refractor and have a question about field flatteners with this scope.  I will be using 2 DSLR cameras until I get comfortable with this setup prior to upgrading to CCD/CMOS.  My main camera is a Fugifilm X-T3 (crop) and a Canon 6D Mark II (full frame) and I need some advice about if I will need a field flattener for this setup.  I am planning to mount on a Sky Watcher EQ-6. Any thoughts or reccommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Norm Fox

• Cali likes this

#2 Cali

Cali

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:47 PM

Norm

Have you been affected by the fires?

- Cal

• NormFox likes this

#3 AZ Maverick

AZ Maverick

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Prescott, Arizona

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:51 PM

Yes, you will need a field flattener.

A field flattener is required because the telescope focuses to a spherical image (which is no problem for our eyes and visual use) but the camera sensor is flat and requires a field flattener to compensate, otherwise you will have spherical aberrations as you get to the edge of your image.

• drd715 likes this

#4 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:52 PM

With what reads as APS and especially full frame size sensors you will need a flattener.

The question is Which works?

The other question is can the scope and flattener cover a full frame - what is the image circle size?

Find out both before you buy anything.

Reason is that ES and flatteners seem to have an odd history. Basically some ES flatteners didn't work on the ES scopes they were intended for. At one stage I think ES pulled a fair few of their flatteners off the market.

Now they likely cost more but the William Optics items are it seems more directed to AP then most. And they have also it seems got it right. However at a guess a WO GT 81 costs more then an ES 80ED. In effect both triplets and both 80mm. But if I had to buy one I know which I would save up for. I don't need to buy one as I have the GT81. Nice red one.

So ask about the scope, ask about flatteners that connect and work, ask about the image circle size.

• drd715 likes this

#5 NormFox

NormFox

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Newman, CA

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:01 PM

Hi Cali!

Yup, the Canyon Zone fire came about 5 miles from where I live.  It is pretty much contained I belive.  The smoke is still somewhat bad especially for viewing the night sky.  I may try to get out tonight and see what I can see. If I can see Polaris and can align, I my try some photography.

Thanks, Norm

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, dslr, refractor, filters

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics