•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help with Setting Lat on a Celestron Wedgepod

Celestron mount polar alignment tripod
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stevejbo

stevejbo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 02:31 PM

With some time on my hands I have dusted off my 20 year old Celestron Celestar8 Computerized telescope to see if I can finally learn how to polar align it correctly.  I do ok - still not great - with a WARP of around 4.

As part of the setup you are supposed to set the angle of the Wedgepod to be your Latitude - seems simple enough. The instructions say to set the nut at the Latitude value (For me 39.1).  The nut is kinda big - so I put the center of the nut at as close to 39 as I could eyeball.

When fiddling with it the other day I decided to doublecheck that it was where it was supposed to be - which it was.  But I noticed something interesting that I had not before - on the side opposite the nut there is a thin white line (see attached picture) at a value of 43. 

Am I supposed to align the center of the nut with the Latitude value - or the white line?  It makes a 4 degree difference - which would be enough to possibly be my problem with polar alignment.

Note in the picture that the nut can be seen on the right of the Lat markings and the line on the left side.

Anyone use one of these scopes and remember which one to use?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Latitude_C8.JPG

#2 c8se

c8se

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:26 PM

That looks like 37, not 43 to me.  The mark is on the "30" side Not the "40" side.  You are closer than you presently think, move the mount to align the 39 to the mark and lock down.  Good Luck

JES

#3 kksmith

kksmith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:18 PM

White line - it’s the setting marker.

#4 JamesDuffey

JamesDuffey

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cedar Crest NM

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:52 PM

It is the white line you should align to. If you find the scale too coarse, you can use a digital level or the level function on your phone to get it more precise.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, mount, polar alignment, tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics