•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Polar alignment issues neq6

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnanderson0084

Johnanderson0084

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:50 PM

Question, is my pier out of level if I'm trying to PA (with asiair pro) and both directions are moving when I adjust the alt bolts? I can't get the mount polar aligned.

Mount neq6 pro
Pier mounted on a concrete slab
OTA c8 with .63 reducer
Camera asi294mc pro
Zwo OAG

Thanks in advance

#2 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:47 PM

Hi John!

I would say it may be.

Because if it was level, when adjusting the Alt/Az mechanics of your mount, The Alt (Altitude) should be true to the elevation from Horizontal, it would move at 90° to the horizontal.

And you Azimuth would move East and West along the horizontal without changes in elevation.

These are just basics.

I am, and always have been, a proponent of setting my mount as level as I can. That sets it so no matter where it is on the Earth, it is theoretically aimed straight into space.

Same principal as building a sky scraper, so it doesn't lean like the Leaning tower of Pisa.

So, when I set up my tripod I go to the pains of trying to level the top of it as best as I can. So it is as true a surface as I can make it to set my equipment on. That way I've tried to get as good a start for my Polar Alignment as I can.

The final determination has always been the North Celestial Pole, near Polaris. Hence, Polar Alignment. Alignment with our planets poles.

I would think you would have to be fairly grossly off level to see your adjustments change the way you describe.

#3 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Where the stars at night are big and bright...

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:44 PM

In theory you don't need a level mount to polar align. Yes it makes things easier because with a truely level mount, moving in one axis shouldn't affect the other. But as long as the RA axis is polar aligned, it doesn't matter what the orientation of the mount is.

Having a pier *on* a concrete slab is not ideal. If the slab isn't level, then the pier won't be level. If the slab shifts when walking around on it then the pier will shift too. This will make polar aligning virtually impossible. Most piers are isolated from being in contact with other foundations and slabs to prevent this.

#4 michael8554

michael8554

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:28 PM

Alternatively, as the Alt and Az adjustments are by crude mechanical means, and PA can involve tiny adjustments, no surprise that both axes seem to move.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics