•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dobsonian care in high humidity

dob Orion reflector equipment
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mbhnm

mbhnm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: East Tennessee

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:11 PM

I recently acquired a gently used Orion SkyQuest XT8i which seems to work great. This is to encourage my granddaughter's interest in astronomy which I recently discovered. Having only owned refractors in the past (distant past) I am curious about how to take care of it in a high humidity environment (East Tennessee). The scope is kept in an unheated garage to allow for quicker temperature acclimation.

First, I assume I should allow some time after viewing to allow humidity to dissipate before snapping on the plastic cover and putting the scope in its case, the question is how long?

Second, is a dew shield recommended for a reflector scope? I was surprised how quickly dew accumulates in our area.

Thanks!

#2 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:23 PM

Leave the dust cover off or loose for several hours.  I usually put my scopes away in my unheated garage with the caps on loosely and cover them tightly the next morning.  I then throw an old sheet over them to prevent more dust and most spiders.

• izar187 likes this

#3 mbhnm

mbhnm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:35 PM

Sounds like a reasonable suggestion. I like the old sheet idea.

#4 mrlovt

mrlovt

Vostok 1

• Loc: Smyrna, TN

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:15 PM

Yes, let it acclimate before you put it up.  Or if your circumstances allow, store it set up, covered in a sheet or a plastic garbage bag, or get proper covers for the tube end and focuser for a neater look. 

As to your second question - no, you don't need a dew shield to prevent dew from forming on the primary mirror.  The tube on a reflector serves that purpose.  

#5 mbhnm

mbhnm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:44 PM

Thanks mrlovt. That was my suspicion.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dob, Orion, reflector, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics