•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astra Image: Order of Operations

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JayMo7

JayMo7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:11 PM

I recently bought Astra Image. My experimenting with it as a complement to RegiStax is very positive. For one, the deconvolution (Richardson Lucy) tool provides additional sharpening to RS Wavelets already efficient sharpen/denoise tools. The user interface is intuitive and there is an Online Help for the main tools/functions, but it does not deal with their recommended order of operations.

Except for the Apply Permanently button, that needs to be clicked to apply all the settings in the Adjustments window to the image so that is can be saved and further manipulated, I haven’t seen any specific information in the Online Help, nor in pop-up messages, regarding the order of operations.

The Log available under the View tab seems to be more for providing system information in case of malfunction than for supporting process sequencing or batch processing.

It seems that all tools/functions under the Enhance tab can be used in whatever sequence and as often as wished, as I tried most of them in a number of random sequences and never got any messages saying that what I was trying to do was invalid or not recommended.

To achieve best results should any of the key functions/tools such as Deconvolution, Multiscale Sharpen and Contrast, Wavelet Sharpen, Unsharp Mask, Denoise be done first or last or in a specific sequence. Is there incompatibility between some of them.

Are technologies, maths, rules of thumb, common sense providing clues... does it matter?

#2 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:52 PM

I only use it to do Simple Deconvolution, Denoise and resize. I do resize first, deconv second and denoise last. I am a big fan of the denoise function. HTH.

#3 JayMo7

JayMo7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:51 AM

I only use it to do Simple Deconvolution, Denoise and resize. I do resize first, deconv second and denoise last. I am a big fan of the denoise function. HTH.

Thanks Paul

Do you denoise mostly in Astra Image or in RegiStax?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics