•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Did Celestron close shop? Kudos to Adorama

catadioptric Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dramodt

dramodt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: So. Utah

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:04 PM

Apparently everyone is out of stock. Emailed Astronomics, but never heard back.

So happened upon Adorama, they had 7 C-11EHD's in stock, and took a couple hundred off the price, and offered a 2 day ship! 

My kids confiscated my 9.25, but its neat seeing them enjoy it. They also took my 20" shocked.gif

Looking forward to Jupiter early next Saturday evening, as we should see the Red Spot and a Shadow on the face!

Will it be too much scope? Do they do visually any better with a focal reducer? 

So now I'll have an 80mm Triplet, 152mm APM APO, 9.25, 11" (same mount for the APM) and a 20"

Some Naglers and Ethos EP's, an Elevated Observation deck in the back yard. What next...confused1.gif

wink.gif

• fiston likes this

#2 KBHornblower

KBHornblower

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Falls Church, VA (Washington DC suburb)

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:22 PM

So happened upon Adorama, they had 7 C-11EHD's in stock, and took a couple hundred off the price, and offered a 2 day ship! 

My kids confiscated my 9.25, but its neat seeing them enjoy it. They also took my 20" shocked.gif

Looking forward to Jupiter early next Saturday evening, as we should see the Red Spot and a Shadow on the face!

So now I'll have an 80mm Triplet, 152mm APM APO, 9.25, 11" (same mount for the APM) and a 20"

Some Naglers and Ethos EP's, an Elevated Observation deck in the back yard. What next...confused1.gif

wink.gif

My bold.  Not for looking at Jupiter.  I would want upwards of 100x for a good look.  A reducer is for getting lower magnification with available eyepieces for such things as large nebulae, or for rich field gazing at the Milky Way. 

• dramodt likes this

#3 Linwood

Linwood

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ft Myers, Florida, USA

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:36 PM

Have you considered mounting the scopes with locks on concrete piers? 

Or just tell your kids you think they should enjoy astronomy - parental approval will usually drive most kids far away.  smile.gif

• dramodt likes this

#4 terrypaula

terrypaula

Ranger 4

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:12 PM

It seems as though everyone's out of stock because of the health crisis where they are manufactured. China seems to have major problems finding healthy employees these days, by their own admission.  Covid has taken its toll on China's manufacturing capabilities.

It's great your kids are into astronomy, it's a hobby that only hurts the pocketbook. I wanted to get a new CGX recently but had to switch gears and buy a used Losmandy G-11.  What a compromise.

(My Edit -  I was only kidding about the G-11, the Losmandy is my retirement mount, so to speak.  I absolutely love it I haven't had to use a guide scope on since I got it.  My only complaint about the G-11 is that it's a little touchy balancing.)

Edited by terrypaula, 17 September 2020 - 10:43 AM.

• dramodt and DrPM like this

#5 Taosmath

Taosmath

Apollo

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:33 PM

....... I wanted to get a new CGX recently but had to switch gears and buy a used Losmandy G-11.  What a compromise.

My condolences.bawling.gif wink.gif

#6 RichA

RichA

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:37 PM

wink.gif

There is out of stock and "more coming soon" signs all over retailers.  Plus, some prices are up noticeably. 

• dramodt likes this

#7 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 17 September 2020 - 04:14 AM

The hobby doesn't have to hurt the pocketbook.,You just need to convince yourself you don't have to have the best of everything.,This set up is under $350 with a good zoom ep.,and it will keep a body happy for a long long time.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190327_183143.jpg.jpg

• dramodt, kevint1, 2Barrel and 2 others like this

#8 deonb

deonb

Vostok 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 17 September 2020 - 05:32 AM

It seems as though everyone's out of stock because of the health crisis where they are manufactured. China seems to have major problems finding healthy employees these days, by their own admission. Covid has taken its tool on China's manufacturing capabilities.
It's great your kids are into astronomy, it's a hobby that only hurts the pocketbook. I wanted to get a new CGX recently but had to switch gears and buy a used Losmandy G-11. What a compromise.

I just had a large order of Christmas lights custom manufactured in Shenzhen (very labor intensive with 250000 total hand-solder points at custom spacing). It didn't take any longer than similar orders I placed in prior years.

I think Celestron's issue has more to do with a very large increase in the astronomy hobby coupled with them not knowing how long the boom will last and how much risk they can take in manufacturing too much inventory. And they probably also got bit by overreliance on JIT like everyone else.

Edited by deonb, 17 September 2020 - 05:34 AM.

• dramodt and Linwood like this

#9 dramodt

dramodt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:18 AM

Have you considered mounting the scopes with locks on concrete piers? 

Or just tell your kids you think they should enjoy astronomy - parental approval will usually drive most kids far away.  smile.gif

lol.gif waytogo.gif

#10 dramodt

dramodt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:20 AM

The hobby doesn't have to hurt the pocketbook.,You just need to convince yourself you don't have to have the best of everything.,This set up is under $350 with a good zoom ep.,and it will keep a body happy for a long long time.,

I like that setup. I need to try one! 

#11 n2dpsky

n2dpsky

Ranger 4

• Loc: Orange, CA

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:52 AM

I just had a large order of Christmas lights custom manufactured in Shenzhen (very labor intensive with 250000 total hand-solder points at custom spacing). It didn't take any longer than similar orders I placed in prior years.

I think Celestron's issue has more to do with a very large increase in the astronomy hobby coupled with them not knowing how long the boom will last and how much risk they can take in manufacturing too much inventory. And they probably also got bit by overreliance on JIT like everyone el

The limiting factor is glass.  Optics manufacturing doesn't offer a lot of surge potential.  You pretty much run all the spindles 24/7 already, so final assembly is limited to what's already in the pipeline or on the shelves.  

• deonb likes this

#12 Linwood

Linwood

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ft Myers, Florida, USA

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:01 AM

I think Celestron's issue has more to do with a very large increase in the astronomy hobby coupled with them not knowing how long the boom will last and how much risk they can take in manufacturing too much inventory. And they probably also got bit by overreliance on JIT like everyone else.

Add to that the surge is also fueled not by a natural growth in interest, but one that has a sense of urgency -- I am bored NOW, I want things NOW.  I speak from experience.  smile.gif

So people are less willing to get into the pipeline with an order against the supply timeline, but are looking for vendors with things in stock.  Normally some demand would go to just ordering from a favored (or cheaper) supplier and waiting, now demand is both larger and also looking for quick gratification.

This not only dries up more sites' stock, but makes customers more ornery and likely to complain when they can't get things.  Also speaking from experience.  frown.gif

Maybe supplies are slow also, certainly a bit of shipping confusion at best, but I could easily be convinced this mostly about demand side changes.  Telescopes are just a new form of toilet paper.  shocked.gif

Edited by Linwood, 17 September 2020 - 10:02 AM.

• dramodt and deonb like this

#13 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• Loc: NE WI

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

Said the guy with:

"Dobs,.8" Zhumell,,10" Orion.,5"Onesky tabletop.

Refractors,.Meade 80mm.,f11,.AT,102,ED,.Orion,120,.f8,..ES127.,and other smaller ones.,
  Mounts..Meade LX70.,Orion,eq3.,and various pipemounts.,One named Frank.,
Eyepiece's.,ES 68*,.82*.,and other makes and models.,Baader and Meade zooms."

• dramodt, clearwaterdave and deonb like this

#14 alan.dang

alan.dang

Mariner 2

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:52 AM

https://www.law360.c...-block-on-sales

This is behind a paywall, but this suggests that there was a block on certain Celestron products as a result of the Orion lawsuit.  

• dramodt likes this

#15 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:10 AM

Said the guy with:

"Dobs,.8" Zhumell,,10" Orion.,5"Onesky tabletop.

Refractors,.Meade 80mm.,f11,.AT,102,ED,.Orion,120,.f8,..ES127.,and other smaller ones.,
  Mounts..Meade LX70.,Orion,eq3.,and various pipemounts.,One named Frank.,
Eyepiece's.,ES 68*,.82*.,and other makes and models.,Baader and Meade zooms."

That collection cost less than a TV101.,and I didn't say I hadn't spent more then I needed.,lol.,

#16 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 17 September 2020 - 04:41 PM

wink.gif

What's next is you better be on your toes.

Adorama has a 14 day return policy. And it's the luck of the draw if your item is a reject or not.

So tough luck of you discover on day 15 after you order you don't like it. The period includes their Sabbath, and their when we get around to it shipping.

Their 2 day shipping is a scam. I ordered my AVX through Amazon Prime. 2 day shipping. Took Adorama 6 days to get the box on the truck. It was the very last thing to finally arrive from my Amazon Prime order.

I won't order an eraser from them.

And Amazon Prime walked away as well when the mount failed 5 days after it got here, and Adorama refused to take it back.

Adorama I just black listed. Amazon got as much abuse as I wanted.

I ordered things from Amazon for the next year, looked at them, and sent them back.

You've been forewarned.

Now I use Ebay, get free shipping, and no annual fee's.

#17 Mikew9788

Mikew9788

Sputnik

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:04 PM

Ebay is cheaper on a lot of things. People always assume Amazon is cheaper which is sometimes not the case. If you use PayPal on eBay you are double protected. I find returns easier on Amazon but I guess that is not always the case.
  • dramodt likes this

#18 dramodt

dramodt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:48 PM

What's next is you better be on your toes.

Adorama has a 14 day return policy. And it's the luck of the draw if your item is a reject or not.

So tough luck of you discover on day 15 after you order you don't like it. The period includes their Sabbath, and their when we get around to it shipping.

Their 2 day shipping is a scam. I ordered my AVX through Amazon Prime. 2 day shipping. Took Adorama 6 days to get the box on the truck. It was the very last thing to finally arrive from my Amazon Prime order.

I won't order an eraser from them.

And Amazon Prime walked away as well when the mount failed 5 days after it got here, and Adorama refused to take it back.

Adorama I just black listed. Amazon got as much abuse as I wanted.

I ordered things from Amazon for the next year, looked at them, and sent them back.

You've been forewarned.

Now I use Ebay, get free shipping, and no annual fee's.

Dang, we'll they certainly didn't get it out really quick, and now won't be till monday. So bummed knowing its just sitting in some hot truck or building all weekend. Buts its just the OTA and I hope its ok. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: catadioptric, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics