•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AZ-EQ5- OK to skip weights in Alt-Az mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 the_chemist

the_chemist

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:50 PM

How do you feel about skipping the balance weights in Alt-Az mode with a 20 lb load? I usually use the weights, but I'm getting ready for a trip, and just wondering if I can skip the weights for visual observing? I've done it a few times in the back yard, and don't notice any problems. Seems like as long as its balanced, the only concern might be an uneven load on the RA bearing, but I think thats pretty beefy. Scopes are an 8" LX10 and a 100 mm f/8 refractor. 

hoping for clear skies in western Nebraska!

Eric

Edited by the_chemist, 16 September 2020 - 09:55 PM.

#2 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Viking 1

• Loc: Boston

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:51 PM

Good luck with the clear skies. We had smoke next door in Wyoming and it’s followed me back and is blocking out the stars here in Boston.

Check out the smoke maps on the “wildfiretoday” website.

cheers

Gary

#3 the_chemist

the_chemist

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:35 PM

So according to Sky Watcher technical support- "The mount should be ok without it. We never use weights in alt-az mode.

Thank you!

Sky-Watcher Support"

question answered

Eric

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:40 AM

So according to Sky Watcher technical support- "The mount should be ok without it. We never use weights in alt-az mode.

Thank you!

Sky-Watcher Support"

question answered

Eric

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that although if that's what they said It must be ok.

20lbs w/o counter weights seem excessive to me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics