•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

threads help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 onesillyhatch

onesillyhatch

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:14 PM

So I was going through my telescope stuff looking for t rings and I found a bunch of adapters that I'm not sure why I got.  Can someone help me out. 

First is a large 54mm or 2 1/4" thread to sct thread.  I have no idea what this large thread is for?????

IMG 9767
IMG 9768

Second is the same thread 54mm or 2 1/4" but to 2" visual observing

IMG 9769

The last one is an sct thread to 1 1/4" visual observing but the observing part has etx threads on it.  Why does it have etx threads on it???

IMG 9770

Thanks for any information provided.

#2 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:45 PM

Maybe it goes on your ETX....

#3 onesillyhatch

onesillyhatch

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:14 PM

Maybe it goes on your ETX....

I'm guess you mean the last picture?  The etx has male threads though and so does this.  The 54mm threads are way too big.  Etx threads are like 34 or 35mm.  Still doesn't make sense to me.

#4 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:21 PM

You're supposed to put this stuff in a drawer and leave it there.  Every five years you look in the drawer and say "wotthehell is this stuff?" and then close the drawer again.  Problem solved.

There is another solution.  I just used it.  Astro life is full of gizmos.  so for example I just got the Baader visual back for my Vixen SD81s, thereby displacing the OEM visual back.

So, I put the OEM visual back in a baggie.  And I wrote a note.  The says, "OEM visual back Vixen SD81s."  Then I close up the baggie and put it away.   That way when I find it in five years I know what it is.

After five years you'll just be used to having it around and won't bother trying to sell it for twenty bucks.  You'll know what it is, and it will go back in the drawer anyhow.  When you die, puzzled relatives will chuck it even though they are likely to resell the actual scopes.  

This is why year after year people buy these gizmos. Shout-out to the person who turned me on to the availability of this part (by posting about it recently).  I'm afraid I've forgotten his name.

Greg N

baader visual back on Vixen ED81s.jpg

Edited by gnowellsct, 16 September 2020 - 11:21 PM.

• Hugh Peck likes this

#5 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• Loc: NE WI

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:31 PM

Pretty sure adapters reproduce when no one is looking. And naturally, they're not exactly like their parents. I have a couple that have never fit on anything I owned.

#6 onesillyhatch

onesillyhatch

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 06:31 AM

Thank you for some good advice. This will definitely help later on. Still stuck at the moment though.

You're supposed to put this stuff in a drawer and leave it there. Every five years you look in the drawer and say "wotthehell is this stuff?" and then close the drawer again. Problem solved.

There is another solution. I just used it. Astro life is full of gizmos. so for example I just got the Baader visual back for my Vixen SD81s, thereby displacing the OEM visual back.

So, I put the OEM visual back in a baggie. And I wrote a note. The says, "OEM visual back Vixen SD81s." Then I close up the baggie and put it away. That way when I find it in five years I know what it is.

Greg N

baader visual back on Vixen ED81s.jpg

#7 StarBurger

StarBurger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:18 AM

Some years ago I bought a flip mirror. I had no idea if it would fit on my focuser but I looked in my astro-chotchky draw and saw enough bits and pieces to feel confident.

I had no idea what any of them were originally for.

An hour later and a lot of cursing and swapping around of bits I had my flip mounted on the focuser and my DSLR mounted on the flip all at the required spacings and 2 inches throughout!

Sit back with a smug and satisfied expression on physog....

• onesillyhatch likes this

#8 wmgeorge

wmgeorge

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:21 AM

Worst of all. Old keys you have saved. Yes they did something, went to something... you dare not throw away. Just put back in the drawer with the rest of the "stuff".

#9 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:48 AM

2" to !.25" adapters seem to multiply when I'm not looking either, kinda like rabbits,,,,,,,

#10 spereira

spereira

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:17 PM

If this topic is about equipment, it ought to be in the Equipment forum.

If this topic is about equipment for astrophotography, then it ought to be in the Beginning & Intermediate Imaging forum, as we all know there is NO ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY HERE in the Beginners Forum.

Just saying...

smp

#11 onesillyhatch

onesillyhatch

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 04:04 PM

If this topic is about equipment, it ought to be in the Equipment forum.

If this topic is about equipment for astrophotography, then it ought to be in the Beginning & Intermediate Imaging forum, as we all know there is NO ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY HERE in the Beginners Forum.

Just saying...

smp

I apologize if I have misplaced my thread about threads.  I suppose this would work in the equipment forum.  If you feel it should go there I would suggest moving it.  I really am just trying to find out what uses those threads.  I'm not taking pictures with them or doing anything with them except asking what they are for?  Please feel free to move it to an appropriate location.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics