•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Feedback for pictures of Jupiter, Moon and Saturn

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jaimac

jaimac

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Ramon, CA

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:27 PM

Hi all,

I used iOptron Versa 108 (f/6, 660mm) to take these pictures. Any input on improving the resolution/picture will be helpful. The seeing in my area is so so as it is always windy and the planets were closer to the horizon. Jupiter and Saturn pictures were taken with Canon SL1 as a 1080p 30 fps video using 15mm eyepiece with 2x barlow. The moon picture was taken with a field flattener and Canon RP 4k video. Processing was done with Pipp, AutoStakkert and RegiStax.

Thank you for your inputs.

Jai

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter final 09152020.jpg
  • saturn final 09152020.jpg
  • Moon RP 09012020.jpg

• Magellanico and Tulloch like this

#2 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 17 September 2020 - 04:51 PM

Hi Jai, that's a nice start, the images you took are not bad for the equipment you are using, however the best results for planetary imaging using a Canon DSLR are when you record the LiveView stream directly to a laptop through the USB port using a program like BackyardEOS, rather than using the video mode on your camera.

The details of how and why this works are in the link below, this was how I first started in planetary AP before purchasing a dedicated planetary camera. It possible to get good results using the Canon DSLR in LiveView mode, it just takes a bit of practice (like anything :)). Here is the link

https://www.astropix...resolution.html

Also, you might be interested in watching these tutorial videos if you are new to planetary AP.

http://planetaryimagingtutorials.com/

Hope this helps,

Andrew

• jaimac likes this

#3 jaimac

jaimac

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Ramon, CA

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:49 PM

Thank you Andrew. I will try recording to the laptop. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics