•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can go-to scopes be manually slewed?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:42 PM

I have a Meade TeleStar 130mm, F = 1020mm, f/7.9, with computer control.

Does it have to be computer motor slewn, or can it be disengaged for manual slewing?

I see an on off switch flanked by jacks for HBX and AUX, and don't know what those are for. The alt and AZ do have big knobs, and degree markings.

Thanks.

#2 RobertMaples

RobertMaples

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:40 PM

Yes, the big knobs can be loosened and the telescope slewed manually, but if it has been aligned it will loose it's alignment.  The HBX port is where the hand control plugs in and I think the AUX port is for hooking up to a computer .

• stargazer193857 likes this

#3 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:51 AM

As Robert implies: computerized Go-To scopes are designed to only be used that way.

You can loosen the axes and find an object, but the scope will no longer be aligned, and it may not track properly on the object found.

If it's a computerized scope and tracking well, why not simply find the object with the hand controller by selecting the object?

The HBX input is for the Handbox controller (where it plugs in)

The Aux input is for other accessories Meade used to make for the scope, like a plug-in GPS unit.

if your scope has no hand box controller, then the scope is no longer computerized and manual use would be just fine.

But be aware it won't track the turning of the Earth, so you'd want to leave the axes loose for manual tracking.

Lack of a computer doesn't inactivate the optics, fortunately.

#4 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Viking 1

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:25 PM

Some scopes can be moved and keep alignment. The Skyquest XT10g for example, but from what I have read, the movement is very stiff and not very good when trying to move the scope manually.

I am a fan of old school large setting circles and an RA tracking. 

• ShaulaB likes this

#5 tommm

tommm

Viking 1

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:30 PM

Don't know if this helps or not, since it is from the  Meade Telenavigator manual. From page 17:

Observing by Moving the Telescope Manually: If you wish to observe a distant land object, such as a mountain top or a bird, you can observe  by merely pointing the telescope and looking through the eyepiece. 1. Loosen the telescope’s tripod base lock knob (17, Fig. 1 or 2) and Altitude lock (10F, Fig. 1 or 2 b), so that the telescope can move freely...

You  can  also  observe  stars  and  objects  in  the  night  sky  using  this  method,  but  note  that  objects begin to slowly drift across the eyepiece field. This motion is caused by the rotation of the Earth. As you become familiar with the AudioStar handbox operation, you can counteract the drift using the automatic tracking feature in the AudioStar Setup menu (see TO TRACK AN OBJECT AUTOMATICALLY, page 19), or by using AudioStar’s GO TO capabilities (see GO TO SATURN, page 22).

#6 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:03 PM

So if it is aligned at night and carried I side and brought back out during the day, all without loosening the locks, will it find jupiter during the day without another alignment needed? Do you need to mark the tripod feet locations?

Thanks.

#7 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:06 PM

No, you need to do an alignment every time you set it up.

The sky is always turning.

#8 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Vanguard

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 17 September 2020 - 05:41 PM

So if it is aligned at night and carried I side and brought back out during the day, all without loosening the locks, will it find jupiter during the day without another alignment needed? Do you need to mark the tripod feet locations?

Thanks.

A permanently mounted scope can be set up to stay aligned to the sky at all times. Even when turned off at night then back on during the day. 

But for the rest of us:

If I plan on looking for daytime targets I just point my scope at polaris when done night observing and leave it running until I am ready to start my daytime observing. 

• Starman1 and Bill Weir like this

#9 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:44 AM

As Robert implies: computerized Go-To scopes are designed to only be used that way.

There are in fact many Go2 scopes that can be moved manually and they have been around for at least a Decade.  Many of the Orion telescopes have dual loop encoders that allow you to GO2, then push to, and then go2 as you please.  There are also several GEMs with dual loop enconders. 

This does not apply to the OPs telescope, but the statement that Go2 telescopes are only designed to be used that way is far too broad in scope.  Some are only designed to be used that way, but there are many that have dual loop systems and can be used in each mode.  

I often would do very long manual slews with my 12" because it was faster to push the scope to the other side of the sky, and when I got to about where the target was, I would use Go2 to let the scope do the final centering of the subject.  Very nice capability to have. 

So not all Go2 scopes are designed to work in Go2 mode only.  Dual Loop setups let you do both. 

Edited by Eddgie, 18 September 2020 - 10:47 AM.

• Starman81 and darksky.fan like this

#10 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:00 PM

There are in fact many Go2 scopes that can be moved manually and they have been around for at least a Decade.  Many of the Orion telescopes have dual loop encoders that allow you to GO2, then push to, and then go2 as you please.  There are also several GEMs with dual loop enconders. 

This does not apply to the OPs telescope, but the statement that Go2 telescopes are only designed to be used that way is far too broad in scope.  Some are only designed to be used that way, but there are many that have dual loop systems and can be used in each mode.  

I often would do very long manual slews with my 12" because it was faster to push the scope to the other side of the sky, and when I got to about where the target was, I would use Go2 to let the scope do the final centering of the subject.  Very nice capability to have. 

So not all Go2 scopes are designed to work in Go2 mode only.  Dual Loop setups let you do both. 

Good to know.  I am most familiar with Celestron and Meade GoTo scopes, and as far as I know, none of theirs can be used manually with the GoTo system aligned.

Of course, all PUSH-To systems keep track of where the scope is pointed.

Could you tell me a couple examples of GoTo systems that can also be used manually?

#11 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:51 PM

Good to know.  I am most familiar with Celestron and Meade GoTo scopes, and as far as I know, none of theirs can be used manually with the GoTo system aligned.

Could you tell me a couple examples of GoTo systems that can also be used manually?

I can, Orion’s XT and XX series as well as Sky-Watcher models that appear to be the same. 

#12 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:41 PM

I can, Orion’s XTg and XXg series as well as Sky-Watcher models that appear to be the same. 

Interesting.  I've never seen one of these at a star party, so I assumed it was a normal, locked clutch, style of GoTo.

#13 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 18 September 2020 - 08:31 PM

Yeah, I am not aware of any or the Celestron or Meade fork mounts that support push to operation. Maybe there is one, but I don't think so.

As mentioned by Dave, many of the Orion and Skywatcher scopes have dual loop.

In addition, there are several GEMs that have dual loop.  The Orion HDX110 and the Sky Watcher AZ-EQ5 both have dual loop encoders and if I am not mistaken, the Losmandy Gemini systems while not dual loop, have always supported Push 2/Go2.  On this system, the encoders are on the shafts rather than on the motors so any time the mount is moved in Dec or RA, the encoders are turning.   I could be wrong about the Gemini, but I am almost positive that this was the case when Gemini first came out. There are probably others out there, but these were off of the top of my head. 

So, there are indeed many options that support Go2/Push To and it is a very nice feature. I was a major factor in my purchase ot the Orion 12" when I bought it 8 or 9 years ago. 

#14 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Vanguard

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:24 PM

The original build of my 25" had clutches on the Alt and Az drives. Just a little pressure would overcome the friction allowing manual use. Encoders kept track of the movement. 

A friend of mine has "slacker" motors for her Servo-cat drive. These allow the scope to be moved manually without having to reach down to unlock the cable drives. 

#15 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Viking 1

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:34 PM

Push to with RA tracking is even better than goto.   It's faster, no noise, and you can wander around all you want before landing on the target. Battery requirements are significantly less.

Edited by Tom Stock, 18 September 2020 - 10:34 PM.

#16 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:06 AM

I have a Meade TeleStar 130mm, F = 1020mm, f/7.9, with computer control.

Does it have to be computer motor slewn, or can it be disengaged for manual slewing?

I see an on off switch flanked by jacks for HBX and AUX, and don't know what those are for. The alt and AZ do have big knobs, and degree markings.

Thanks.

While your scope does not actually support Push to, there is a very easy cheat that works with most Go2 telescopes that have clutches (and I do not know if that is the case with your telescope): If you want to go off the rails for a bit, just slew the scope to a bright star.  Unlock the clutches and go where ever you want. If you want to go check something on the moon, or whatever, just push the scope to that subject.  Now you won't have tracking so you will have to manually guide because if you lock the clutches the scope can more in the wrong direction. 

Once you are done and want to go back on to the rails, simply push the scope back to the same bright star you were on before you loosened the clutches, center it, and lock the clutches again. Now you are back in Go2 mode without any need to re-align. 

If your scope does not have clutches in both axes this will not work. 

• Starman1 and stargazer193857 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics