•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Observing conditions....California's Central Valley

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vsteblina

vsteblina

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:03 PM

I have been monitoring the California fires using the GEOS-17 satellite that the National Weather Service put up a few years ago.

I have been using the loop viewing function.....

https://rammb-slider...06640625&y=3427

So when the loop is running in the early evening there is a "cloud" over the southern half of the Central Valley, and a bit of it north of Sacramento.

So is this particulate matter reflecting back from the lights below???

I did spend one winter in Coarsegold and was really disappointed at how poor the skies were at night.  At the time, I suspected the particulate matter, but not sure that is correct.

Anybody have any ideas? 

Edited by vsteblina, 16 September 2020 - 11:04 PM.

#2 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:42 PM

It has been various degrees of smokey here every recent night.  Jupiter has been low enough in the smoke this week that it hasn't been worth looking at...haven't been able to see Saturn naked eye recently.  Mars has been okay once it gets up high, the smoke serves as a #21 or even #23 filter. 

Early this evening wasn't too bad and I thought about turning a scope on Jupiter.  The smoke smell was gone.  When I stepped out an hour later I could smell the smoke and I had trouble spotting Jupiter.  Guess I need to get caught up on the fires again.

#3 B 26354

B 26354

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:28 AM

I use this:

https://www.star.nes...COLOR&length=96

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics