•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IC1318, The butterfly nebula

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 m_abukhalid

m_abukhalid

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:20 PM

This was a fun target to process. Lots of detail thats easy to pull. As a matter of fact I worry I may have gone too far! The integrated image was created using 19 calibrated light frames at 5 mins each at ISO 200. Calibration still not optimal but its getting there. Sadr really gave me a hard time at certain steps but it worked out somehow. Would love to hear from people if they have opinions on how to improve the processing of this image as I definitely plan to revisit.

Heres an image processed with just as masked stretch and a curves transformation in the non linear phase:

Butterfly SMI PIP 07 clone

I discovered the exponential transform function today and it really does work wonders. Does change the overall look of the image though and changes the reds to an orange that I couldnt seem to fix:

Final

Please drop a comment and let me know which of these two images you prefer and why, along with any improvement that could be made. Thanks!

Edited by m_abukhalid, 16 September 2020 - 11:24 PM.

#2 MHamburg

MHamburg

Vanguard

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:28 PM

Both are beautiful!

Michael

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics