•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Automation Software for Dual-Scope Setup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yzhzhang

yzhzhang

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:29 AM

Hi all,

We are considering building up a dual-scope imaging system which involves 1 mount + 2*(scope + camera + focuser + rotator + flat panel/cap), and just looking for opinions for the best automation program that handles this. We would picturing a scenario that we have a long focal-length scope as the main scope for framing, and a widefield scope capturing the surroundings of the target. Hope the program can handle the "collaboration" of the two imaging system, such as dither together, sync exposures, etc.

As a Voyager user I am thinking of Voyager Array which seems capable of this type of job, but I can't test it out since I don't have the dual systems at hand yet. So questions to folks with such experiences: What software package would you recommend that can achieve the best out of dual-scope system?

Thanks,

Yizhou

#2 yzhzhang

yzhzhang

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:13 AM

Bump.

Maybe a bit more specific: What does Voyager Array offer over NINA synced dither? Voyager Array intro page does mention some other features, but just wonder what's the most important/useful feature considered from Array user? Thanks.

#3 OrionSword

OrionSword

Messenger

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 18 September 2020 - 08:03 AM

In my current dual-rig setup I run two instances of NINA for each camera/scope combination on one mount.  I have also done the same thing with APT.  In either case you decide on which scope/camera will be master/slave.  The Master configuration will control guiding and dithering, likewise the Slave will need to be synchronized with the Master to finish it's exposure prior to the dither trigger.

Currently with NINA I am having a issue where I do not dither at this time, so instead I let the Slave finish it's exposures shortly after the Master finishes.  If memory serves APT did successfully dither and sync the exposures between both cameras without issue,  but it's been a while since I have used it.  I can't speak for Voyager in this regard as I don't have a need for it costwise or otherwise with the other two choices.

Between clouds and smoke this year I finally completed a run on NGC7635 and spent 2 hours each night and was able to accumulate 132 5-minute subs between the two OSC cameras, which is a harvest of 660 minutes or 11 hours for 6 hours run time.  We are smoke blocked again in the area, so will make another run when things clear up for Ha.

This is my current setup, only difference the camera on the left QHY16200A is temporarily replaced by QHY268C.

http://www.kd0npt-as..._equipment.html

Edited by OrionSword, 18 September 2020 - 08:12 AM.

#4 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:07 AM

I like APT’s multi camera system. You can mix match ccd cmos and dslr. You can dither in complex ways, ex camera 1 shooting 600s exposures camera 2 shooting 60s exposures, you can choose to only dither at every 600s interval on camrra 1. You can also dither without autoguiding. I think the issue would be auto rotating and AF. I have no experience attempting to use those features in apt.

Edited by calypsob, 18 September 2020 - 09:07 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics