•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stoltzfus Star Gazer RoR Observatory

observatory
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Brothers

Tim Brothers

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Westford, MA, USA

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:49 AM

Has anyone here seen or heard anything about Stoltzfus Star Gazer ror sheds?

Here's their updated website:

https://www.mysheds....tar-gazer-sheds

Their a little more expensive than BYO, but look like a good build quality.  

#2 gatsbyiv

gatsbyiv

Viking 1

• Loc: Doylestown, PA

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:55 AM

I've been looking at this for a while now, and was wondering the same thing.  I couldn't get on BYO's schedule, and Stoltzfus is fairly close to me.  I got a quote from them, and they were very responsive via email.  Delivery charges were reasonable, but the total is still more expensive than BYO.

#3 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• Loc: Chicago Suburbs, USA

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:57 AM

Look very nice, nothing to worry about, just write the check, and someone to complain to when things dont work..nice.

Of course, your paying for that and not really experiencing the joy of using shims, pulling splinters out of fingers, rain delays etc.

I m currently building a 10x16 with vinyl siding, learning a lot, enjoying it despite the previous sentence and my budget is under 4K.

If I had some (Spare) money I might consider it..

Edited by ssagerian, 17 September 2020 - 10:01 AM.

#4 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:01 AM

Those look great.  I'd love one.

I notice they are in Pennsylvania.  Probably difficult to get them to install too far outside of the PA area.

#5 Tim Brothers

Tim Brothers

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:11 AM

We've received quotes from just about every company that makes RoR's/Clamshells (Pier Tech ($$$), AstroHaven ($$$$$$), Observatory Solutions($$$), BYO($) and now Stoltzfus ($$)).  Our issue is both time and money.  The first two are definitely higher priced, though you sometimes get what you paid for.  This is to replace a TI Pro Dome, so we have the pad an pier and electricity already in place.  I was impressed they even include the breaker box.  They use a typical garage door opener - we'd probably rip that out and put in a more robust VFD motor and something like an astronomics controller down the road.  We also had them remove anything extra like windows and fancy doors to lower the cost.  So, more expensive than BYO but far less than the others.  

We've looked at BYO before - they're cheaper, but I've seen some not fair well up here in New England winters.  Their website is also broken at the moment.  

Also, Delivery from PA to MA was honestly negligible compared to what I thought it would be.  Lead time is about 6months - pretty standard.

I had hoped to build one ourselves with student help - with Covid, working together is impossible here right now.  I just need a personal recommendation from anyone who's seen or heard of where one went.  

#6 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• Loc: Chicago Suburbs, USA

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:34 AM

I would ask them if you can upgrade the floor joists to at least 2x8 (2x10 is recommended if you plan to do out reach), you mentioned students? if you going to have lots of people standing around inside, you  definitely dont want 2x4 floor joists.

#7 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• *----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:05 PM

Building an ROR is a trivial exercise for any reasonably intelligent carpenter.

You should be able to find one locally.

dan k.

#8 Tim Brothers

Tim Brothers

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:30 PM

I would ask them if you can upgrade the floor joists to at least 2x8 (2x10 is recommended if you plan to do out reach), you mentioned students? if you going to have lots of people standing around inside, you  definitely dont want 2x4 floor joists.

I was thinking about that part as well.  We can get pretty significant snow loads around here, so 2x4's are generally not acceptable for framing.  This project is a little different in that no one will be inside - laser experiment.  So, it's really just an enclosure for the system.  We couldn't go with a dome because of how fast it has to slew - i.e. safety issues and even more cost.

Dan K. - agreed, if you can find a contractor who isn't out straight right now.  Also, bringing in contractors can be a complicated business at a school - especially right now.  Trust me, if I had the time or if this was for myself, I'd just build it myself and I'd be happy doing so.  

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics