•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CPWI over WIFI via Raspberry PI?

mount
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jryd2000

jryd2000

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:14 PM

Has anyone gotten CPWI to work over WIFI via a Raspberry PI connected to the NexStar+ Hand controller?

I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ connected to my NexStar 6SE mount (NexStar+ HC running latest firmware for HC/MC) via a mini USB cable.  The RPI is running Astroberry and additionally has Ser2Net installed and configured with the following entry: 4030:raw:0:/dev/ttyUSB0:9600 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT.  This allows me to connect to the RPI over WIFI either using my home network or via the HotSpot created by the Astroberry installation on the RPI.  With that running, I am able from my Windows 10 machine to connect to the mount serial port via a piece of software called HW Virtual Serial Port 3, which creates a local COM port that is connected through the network to the serial port connected to the RPI via the USB cable.  This does indeed allow me to completely wirelessly control the mount via Stellarium using the Celestron ASCOM drivers using the virtual COM port created by HW VSP3.

However, to push things one step further, I wanted to be able to align the mount as well wirelessly using the CPWI software.  However when I try in CPWI to use that virtual COM port to connect the Hand Controller I see a bunch of traffic going over the HW VSP3 software but CPWI reports that it cannot connect.  Also, when unsucessfully attepting to connect this way, the NexStar+ HC display changes to "CFM Requested".  Anyone had success with this?

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:41 PM

I can test this hardware/software later tonight and let you know the results...

#3 jryd2000

jryd2000

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:56 PM

That would be great.  Let me know if you experience the same or figure something out I missed.

#4 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:27 PM

jryd2000,

Sadly, same result.

Prior to using CPWI, I verified a good connection using the virtual port created by HW and Stellarium. I could control the NexStar SE mount easily and star position was displayed.

As soon as I started CPWI and selected Hand Controller,  the Baud rate in HW started at 9600 then jumped to 115200 and CPWI just hung. Bad boy...

I also did a direct cable connection from the Hand Controller to my PC, CPWI connected to the USB port and started working as expected.

So looks like CPWI is trying a too fast Baud rate while the default Raspberry Ser2Net config is set for 9600 Baud?   Hmmm, wonder if I change Ser2Net Baud to 115200 will it still work with Stellarium and CPWI? 

I will give a shot tomorrow and see what happens.

#5 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:07 AM

jryd2000,

No cigar...

CPWI could NOT connect to NexStar SE mount via Hand Controller and Raspberry Pi Ser2Net port speed set to 115200.

As soon as CPWI starts, HW Virtual starts at 9600 Baud, switches to 115200 then shuts down the port!

Also tried Stellarium at the higher Baud rate and it too not communicate with the Raspberry.

I suspect CPWI "thinks" its connected to a high speed USB connection whereas Stellarium "detects" the port and uses its current set rate?

Maybe a note to Celeastron asking them to "auto adjust" the data rate when using USB?

#6 jryd2000

jryd2000

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:29 AM

Yeah, I have been playing around as well.  I installed a serial port monitor to try and see what is the difference between a successful physical connection and an unsuccessful remote one.  I have been fiddling with some setting in ser2net to try to get it to more close match.  I am currently using this:  

2000:raw:0:/dev/ttyUSB0:9600 19200 115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT RTSCTS remctl

I believe ser2net let's you specify multiple baud rates and the remctl indicates that those speeds can be renegotiated remotely.  My traces now more closely match and basically the same data is flowing to the scope but then I don't get a response back for some reason.  Still going to keep trying some, there a bunch of other options available in ser2net.

#7 jryd2000

jryd2000

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:45 PM

I ended up going a different route to get this working.  Instead of using Ser2Net, I instead used the Raspberry Pi version of VirtualHere.  It is a client/server software that allows sharing of USB devices over the network.  You just need to run the server software on the Raspberry Pi (https://virtualhere....erver/vhusbdarm) and then plug in the USB cable that connects to the mount.  Then on my Windows 10 machine you just need to run the client (https://virtualhere....ient/vhui64.exe) and it will search the local network to find the device and allow you to connect to it.  You can also manually configure the IP on the client side to explicitly connect to an IP address.  After that you can use CPWI as if the mount is connected directly to the PC but it is completely wireless.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics