•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dark Sky Locations Vermont

observing report observing astrophotography star party
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nebulanbloom

nebulanbloom

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: NY

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:31 PM

Are there any fellow Vermont astronomers/ astrophotographers that would be interested in forming a small observing Star Party/Outreach at a dark sky location this upcoming weekend? I'm new to the area and living right on the same road as a resort has been a little rough. Preferably somewhere with out a ton of black bears lol.gif 

I'm offering views through a new SVX152T and a ton of other neat scopes. I guess if anyone is interested to link up, social distance of course, lets make it happen.  Check the weather!!

Stellafane grounds are closed to the general public and every park I've been to the police\rangers weren't all that happy about me being there setup with a yard canon.

I'm not here to spot drop as well...so If that's a thing here, I apologize in advance confused1.gif  Please DM me otherwise, perhaps all I need is some local knowledge bow.gif

Clear Skies!

Adrian

#2 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:36 PM

Where in VT are you?  We can certainly bookmark contact info.  Right now It's a no-go for me due to COVID and my wife is high risk... but after the pandemic would happily get together. 

#3 nebulanbloom

nebulanbloom

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:06 PM

Where in VT are you?  We can certainly bookmark contact info.  Right now It's a no-go for me due to COVID and my wife is high risk... but after the pandemic would happily get together. 

I have a condo in Killington right on the mountain. It's a little too busy for me to get any useful data...cars/lights from town/bears!!  I am currently looking into camp grounds around the state that are willing to host me and or anyone else interested. I have a feeling that reaching out publicly during a pandemic to go observe might not be the best option.

• gravy11 likes this

#4 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:36 PM

I absolutely love killington. Is it too bright over near Pico? North of you is a ton of very dark sky.

I'm about 2 hrs north and have dark skies... but yeah, the pandemic. Ugh.
  • nebulanbloom likes this

#5 nebulanbloom

nebulanbloom

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:26 PM

Living near the resort = battling all of the backyard stargazing obstacles. Locally I tried Kent Pond. I setup one evening only to be kicked out by a ranger an hour into the session, who wasn't helpful at all about where to setup. I'm sure there are parks elsewhere that wont mind, I'm just not familiar with them. Google and forum searches arent really helpful for general observing. Coming from Long Island, where we have to buy permits to observe at dark sky locations, this is uncharted land to me.

I've sent some emails to local camp grounds in hopes of availability for the weekend. Fingers are crossed!

#6 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Vanguard

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:08 PM

I have a place in Southern VT not far from Mount Snow. I usually just observe from my deck, it's a vacation community so not many people are up midweek and it's pretty dark. I'm not far from the Green Mountain National Forest on Route 9. I have been in there at night, no local light pollution and nobody bothers you. It's open all night, people even camp in certain locations. It looks like there are some access roads into it if you head North of Killington on RT100. It may be worth scouting them out during the day. 

I don't see myself driving that far north to observe when I'm up but if you put something together with a small group post or PM me. 

Good luck!

John

• nebulanbloom likes this

#7 nebulanbloom

nebulanbloom

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:45 PM

Hi John,

I sent a PM.. Thanks for sharing the location info by the way!

I'm hoping to get acquainted with a local Astronomy Club, but with the pandemic it's difficult to network. Interestingly enough, the response from this topic hasn't been as plentiful as I thought it would be.  I contacted a few of the clubs and some members responded. Local knowledge is priceless.

I never thought social distancing in a field would be so difficult!

Cheers!

-Adrian

• NYJohn S likes this

#8 gravy11

gravy11

Mariner 2

• Loc: NJ (USA)

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:59 PM

I have a condo in Killington right on the mountain. It's a little too busy for me to get any useful data...cars/lights from town/bears!!  I am currently looking into camp grounds around the state that are willing to host me and or anyone else interested. I have a feeling that reaching out publicly during a pandemic to go observe might not be the best option.

My Wife and I own at The Grand. We went up last month and went up to Bear which was crazy dark. By The Grand, I was able to find Andromeda but the local lights were brutal. 

Dan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing report, observing, astrophotography, star party

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics