•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade lx200gps issues with ASIAIR pro

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Bouldermatt

Bouldermatt

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Boulder, Colorado

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:07 PM

I’m testing my lx200gps in my garage with ASIAIR pro. The mount is connected to the ASIAIR. But I can’t get the scope to move when pressing and of the RA/Dec arrows. I want to be sure everything works before I set it up outside. Do I have to do something else in order for the ASIAIR to take control of the mount?

#2 hypergolic

hypergolic

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Georgia

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:42 AM

My suggestion first off is to make sure your drivers are correct as well as assigned/identified COM ports. I am not an expert by any means. Check the obvious...loose connectors, faulty wiring.

Fleep

#3 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:54 PM

Are you connecting through one of the Aux ports? What adapter RS232 cable are you using? 

#4 Bouldermatt

Bouldermatt

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:57 PM

I got an rs232 to usb from new egg. I’m able to connect to the mount with the ASIAIR. But none of the movement commands work. Will it make a difference if my Meade is still on Auto Star version 2.0? The other issue I’m having is getting the AutoStar Updater to update my mount.

#5 Bouldermatt

Bouldermatt

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:59 PM

I got an rs232 to usb from new egg. I’m able to connect to the mount with the ASIAIR. But none of the movement commands work. Will it make a difference if my Meade is still on Auto Star version 2.0? The other issue I’m having is getting the AutoStar Updater to update my mount.

#6 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:45 PM

If you're having issues with the updater I'd sort that out first as proofing that your cable actually is correct.

You say RS232 to USB from NewEgg but I think they don't offer anything but the 505 cable, which will NOT work with the LX200, but does work with the ETX/LX90/LX65 models.  

#7 siblog

siblog

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:54 PM

Just a suggestion.

With the Autostar II handbox ensure that SETUP/TARGETS is set to 'Terrestrial'.

I'm trying to get my LX200R working with PHD2 and like you I'm staging the setup to get it all working.

I find I can only manually guide the scope from PHD2 if Targets is set to Terrestrial.

When the scope is first powered on this is the default and I can manually guide.

When an auto align is performed Targets is set to Astronomical (so the scope tracks) but now the serial ports and ST4 port stop responding to manual guide commands from PHD2.

Most of my time testing has been spent with the scope setup as 'Alt/Az'. I have tried with briefly with the mount set to 'Polar' but I have found the same issue.

I'm still working through all this but more puzzling is that manual control via the Autostar suite still works whilst the PHD2 guiding does not.

So, I'm interested to see if you manual control issue is similar.

Simon

#8 levyjoelh

levyjoelh

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 12 May 2021 - 05:35 PM

Hi - I was thinking of a similar set up and was wondering if you solved your problem?

#9 michael8554

michael8554

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 13 May 2021 - 06:49 AM

Hi levyjoelh

A few points from the previous posts.

IMO the mount needs to be set to Astronomical in Targets, to enable tracking at sidereal rate.

Set to Terrestrial, no Tracking, only slew is enabled (you don't want it tracking while you're looking at a stationary terrestrial object).

If you don't have a wedge, set Mount to Alt/Az.

If you have a wedge, set to Polar.

The ASIAir Pro seems to come with a USB to Serial Female 9-Pin D type cable, you will need to add a Male D-type to 6P4C plug, suitably wired for the RS232 socket on the LX200GPS.

"For details, please refer to the “ASIAIR PRO User Manual” , "  they say.

Edited by michael8554, 13 May 2021 - 07:05 AM.

• levyjoelh likes this

#10 levyjoelh

levyjoelh

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 May 2021 - 09:27 AM

I appreciate the help.   Thank you.

Best,

Joel

Hi levyjoelh

A few points from the previous posts.

IMO the mount needs to be set to Astronomical in Targets, to enable tracking at sidereal rate.

Set to Terrestrial, no Tracking, only slew is enabled (you don't want it tracking while you're looking at a stationary terrestrial object).

If you don't have a wedge, set Mount to Alt/Az.

If you have a wedge, set to Polar.

The ASIAir Pro seems to come with a USB to Serial Female 9-Pin D type cable, you will need to add a Male D-type to 6P4C plug, suitably wired for the RS232 socket on the LX200GPS.

"For details, please refer to the “ASIAIR PRO User Manual” , "  they say.

#11 kej

kej

Explorer 1

Posted 29 May 2021 - 08:08 AM

I appreciate the help.   Thank you.

Best,

Joel

Joel hi

I hope you don't mind me asking, but did you get your Meade LX200 12" GPS and the ASIAIR Pro talking to each other in the end and working properly?

The reason I ask, I have a friend(genuiely not me ;-) ) , who has a Meade 14" LX200 GPS and I would like to suggest to him to buy the ASIAIR Pro to make his life easier, but I don't want to recommend it, if there are issues or it will not work (ok should be fine, but).

And if that is the case of it working correctly, when convenient would you mind advising me of how you connected(wiring wise) and any pictures would be greatly appreciated?

As for me, I have just de-forked my old Meade LX10 8" SCT (2000mm FL F10), added a Losmandy plate and stuck it onto a new SW EQ6-R Pro, brilliant and loving it.

As unfortunately my old Meade mount was a just like a clockwork RA and basic DEC control mount, no good for tracking or guiding.

Any pointers, comments or info greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Keith

(UK)

#12 levyjoelh

levyjoelh

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2021 - 09:31 PM

Joel hi

I hope you don't mind me asking, but did you get your Meade LX200 12" GPS and the ASIAIR Pro talking to each other in the end and working properly?

The reason I ask, I have a friend(genuiely not me ;-) ) , who has a Meade 14" LX200 GPS and I would like to suggest to him to buy the ASIAIR Pro to make his life easier, but I don't want to recommend it, if there are issues or it will not work (ok should be fine, but).

And if that is the case of it working correctly, when convenient would you mind advising me of how you connected(wiring wise) and any pictures would be greatly appreciated?

As for me, I have just de-forked my old Meade LX10 8" SCT (2000mm FL F10), added a Losmandy plate and stuck it onto a new SW EQ6-R Pro, brilliant and loving it.

As unfortunately my old Meade mount was a just like a clockwork RA and basic DEC control mount, no good for tracking or guiding.

Any pointers, comments or info greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Keith

(UK)

Hi Keith,

Its actually being supercharged with Dr. Sherrod right now so I have not had a chance to test out the suggestion.

Best,

Joel

• Greg LX200GPS 10" likes this

#13 kej

kej

Explorer 1

Posted 01 June 2021 - 04:44 AM

Joel hi

Thank you for replying.

Would there please be any chance, when you get all your equipment back and have it setup and working of:

1) Uploading/attaching some photos (close ups etc) of how you have it setup.

2) Listing the leads or additional connectors you had to buy to make it all work.

I hope you don't mind me asking and the extra hassle.

Kind regards

Keith

#14 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:28 AM

All the ASIAIR is doing is using USB>RS232 connection just like any other computer.   The ASIAIR should have the selection for Autostar and one for Audiostar.  The first is for LX200/compatible mount, the second is for all other LX mounts compatible with the Audiostar/Autostar 497 mounts.  ASIAIR is already built with the drivers for the mounts and those haven't changed in a long time. 

Make sure the Baud setting is 9600, if you are experiencing problems with control it's likely you have a wrong setting.  Also, make sure you are using the AUX port on the Mount for LX200, NOT the ST4/Autoguider port.  

#15 levyjoelh

levyjoelh

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 June 2021 - 11:09 AM

Sure, happy to share my experiences and help out in any way I can. 

Best,

Joel

Joel hi

Thank you for replying.

Would there please be any chance, when you get all your equipment back and have it setup and working of:

2) Listing the leads or additional connectors you had to buy to make it all work.

Kind regards

Keith

#16 kej

kej

Explorer 1

Posted 02 June 2021 - 07:19 AM

Best,

Joel

Perfect, thank you and of course when convenient.

#17 kej

kej

Explorer 1

Posted 02 June 2021 - 07:30 AM

All the ASIAIR is doing is using USB>RS232 connection just like any other computer.   The ASIAIR should have the selection for Autostar and one for Audiostar.  The first is for LX200/compatible mount, the second is for all other LX mounts compatible with the Audiostar/Autostar 497 mounts.  ASIAIR is already built with the drivers for the mounts and those haven't changed in a long time. 

Make sure the Baud setting is 9600, if you are experiencing problems with control it's likely you have a wrong setting.  Also, make sure you are using the AUX port on the Mount for LX200, NOT the ST4/Autoguider port.  

Thank you also for the information, as always very much appreciated.

Out of interest:

Have you tried or should I say connected one of your bigger Meade scopes to the ASIAIR and did you experience issues Plate Solving for example ?

May I ask also, what was the Focal Length(FL) of the latest scope you used(Meade) ?

Not sure if your found you had to use a Reducer and possibly a 6.3 might work, but a 3.3 might have issues with coma for example ?

Final one(sorry), what size guide scopes are you using on your bigger Meades ?

Thanks

Keith

*I believe the FL of the guide scopes is not so crucial now on newer mounts, especially with the advent of PHD2 and the ASIAIR Pro with multistage etc 

**I know as a work around you could obviously swap the main and guide cameras around in the app to PA and possibly goto.

#18 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 June 2021 - 08:11 PM

Thank you also for the information, as always very much appreciated.

Out of interest:

Have you tried or should I say connected one of your bigger Meade scopes to the ASIAIR and did you experience issues Plate Solving for example ?

May I ask also, what was the Focal Length(FL) of the latest scope you used(Meade) ?

Not sure if your found you had to use a Reducer and possibly a 6.3 might work, but a 3.3 might have issues with coma for example ?

Final one(sorry), what size guide scopes are you using on your bigger Meades ?

Thanks

Keith

*I believe the FL of the guide scopes is not so crucial now on newer mounts, especially with the advent of PHD2 and the ASIAIR Pro with multistage etc 

**I know as a work around you could obviously swap the main and guide cameras around in the app to PA and possibly goto.

I haven't used the ASIAir with them... trying to work a deal for one at the moment.  I have used cursory exploration a RPi4/Astroberry but that's a different animal than the ASIAir.  Even if I was using an ASIair, currently I don't have anything but a DSLR compatible with being controlled... all my dedicated cameras are legacy equipment not supported.  

I picked up a second hand Orion guidescope package last year which I'll likely try with my LX200s 10" and 16" (2500 & 4000mm) though not sure that camera is compatible(crossing my fingers).  I may have to bite the bullet and get a newer USB3.0 if the deal works out for the ASIAir.  I've got to make up an adapter to use the guidescope on the LX200s and haven't gotten around to that yet.  

#19 kej

kej

Explorer 1

Posted 03 June 2021 - 01:58 AM

I haven't used the ASIAir with them... trying to work a deal for one at the moment.  I have used cursory exploration a RPi4/Astroberry but that's a different animal than the ASIAir.  Even if I was using an ASIair, currently I don't have anything but a DSLR compatible with being controlled... all my dedicated cameras are legacy equipment not supported.  

I picked up a second hand Orion guidescope package last year which I'll likely try with my LX200s 10" and 16" (2500 & 4000mm) though not sure that camera is compatible(crossing my fingers).  I may have to bite the bullet and get a newer USB3.0 if the deal works out for the ASIAir.  I've got to make up an adapter to use the guidescope on the LX200s and haven't gotten around to that yet.  

Fair enough and thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, that is the thing, it does unfortunately or fortunately force you down the ZWO inclusive route.

It has also become difficult to obtain any astro equipment as well over here(slower), due to a mixture of the blocked Suez Canal a while back, Covid and the hobby becoming more popular in lockdown, so prices also holding up.

Cheers

#20 kej

kej

Explorer 1

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:39 AM

Joel hi

Thank you for replying.

Kind regards

Keith

Paul/Joel

So, just at my end, I managed to get half decent pictures with my Meade 8" SCT testing on M51 using the reducers even stacking 10-20 second exposures, I was really impressed(unguided).

But, in doing so, then discovered(you two might already know this) that I require a 'Back Focus' of 105mm(I have been using about 50-55mm) seemed to work fine with DSLR's larger sensor and to be honest not that bad with the astro cameras.

However, now I need to add a ZWO filter drawer to my optical train, so that I can add in my 2" UV/IR filter as the tube/spacers now fit directly into the camera(previously I had a 1 1/4 adapter with a smaller UV/IR filter in the end).

Question

Joel, can you please advise me exactly how you connected your ASIAIR to your mount/base of the scope please ?

ie: The type of lead(EQ-Mod), did you plug that directly into the handset or no you used the RS232 connector into XYZ port and ignored/disconnected the handset altogether ?

Hopefully thanks

Edited by kej, 08 June 2021 - 01:04 AM.

#21 kej

kej

Explorer 1

Posted 08 June 2021 - 07:37 AM

Just to give a FOV comparison at 50-55mm Back Focus, which I believe is incorrect with the camera literally on the Reducer using the 1 1/4 adapter.

Far Left (stacked FITS file using the ASI462) 3.3 Reducer and unguided.

Middle( Single FIT from WO Z61).

Far Right (Stacked FITS using the ASI533 and 6.3 Reducer).

Tonight, hopefully if the weather clears I will attempt some shots at the correct back focus...........

Fig 02 sm Comparison FOV Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 07.25.45 copy.jpg

Edited by kej, 08 June 2021 - 07:39 AM.

#22 mklosterman1

mklosterman1

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Culpeper, VA

Posted 15 June 2021 - 10:07 PM

I also have an ask air pro with Meade question… I have an 8” meade lx200 gps on an equatorial wedge. Will the asi air polar alignment routine work with this setup or is it only for GEM mounts?

Thanks

Mike

• kej likes this

#23 kej

kej

Explorer 1

Posted 21 July 2021 - 05:18 AM

Best,

Joel

Joel hi

Did you get your scope back in the end ?

Cheers

Keith

#24 Riaandw

Riaandw

Explorer 1

• Loc: South Africa

Posted 07 August 2021 - 02:03 AM

LX200 14 acf here. Asi Air pro in route. Will update findings.

#25 Greg LX200GPS 10"

Greg LX200GPS 10"

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California USA

Posted 11 August 2021 - 03:48 PM

I just ordered an ASI Air Pro for my LX200GPS 10" F10. Mine also was Supercharged by Dr. Sherrod shortly after it was born on 2003...

I will share my findings as well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics