•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher 120mm f/8.33 achromatic refractor star test

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 balticsensor

balticsensor

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lithuania

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:09 AM

After noticing differences between in-and-out of focus star images during my observations, and coming from a near-perfect 90mm f/10 achromatic refractor, I decided to do something about it.

I've made an artificial double star by using a needle, tin foil and cellphone light. The exposures were made in a long basement corridor with a Nikon D3300 at prime focus. The images are from the green channel.

After determining that my scope is apparently undercorrected, I reduced the spacing between the crown and flint. On one hand, the new images show a slightly sharper star test (most visible in the lower right "out" defocused diffraction pattern), although in the upper small defocus images I seem to have produced some major zone in the diffraction pattern. But it could actually just be that i changed the angle of my artificial star - a real mistake. I will get back to it again, without moving the artificial star. Also, I heard that prism diagonals induce overcorrection, so I'll try that too.

STAR-TEST-s.jpg

How does it look to you, folks?

I'm super-new to star-testing, so I'll take all the appropriate criticism and advice and general opinion on the optical quality of this specimen. Thank you.

Edited by balticsensor, 18 September 2020 - 01:13 AM.

• mazdak likes this

#2 coinboy1

coinboy1

Apollo

• Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 18 September 2020 - 04:46 AM

Cool experiment with the lens spacers! I believe you will need to check the star test with the artificial star at much longer distances otherwise it will induce spherical abberation. See https://www.cloudyni...rtificial-star/

#3 balticsensor

balticsensor

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lithuania

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:57 AM

After further check-ups I noticed the focuser was not aligned on the optical axis, so I fixed that. Also, tried to shoot the following star test with a prism diagonal. The in and out focus diffraction patterns seem to be much more similar now.

startest2.jpg

#4 Rutilus

Rutilus

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:10 AM

Looks like you now have a touch of over-correction (due to diagonal?).  I would try the scope out under the stars.

Btw, do you notice any Newton ring pattern. I re-spaced my 120mm f/8.3. as it had some under-correction.

#5 dan chaffee

dan chaffee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 20 September 2020 - 11:38 AM

Looks like you now have a touch of over-correction (due to diagonal?).  I would try the scope out under the stars.

Btw, do you notice any Newton ring pattern. I re-spaced my 120mm f/8.3. as it had some under-correction.

I don't think so. In the image closer to focus, bright outer ring with faint inner rings inside of focus, fuzzier outer rind and bright inner rings outside of focus, is showing strong undercorrection. Any manual on star testing will confirm this. The star test is much more sensitive to spherical aberration closer to focus than the when showing numerous rings, so for this purpose, I'd forget about the images further from focus.   Agree that it should be tested without a prism diagonal and on a distant point source.

Edited by dan chaffee, 20 September 2020 - 11:43 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics