•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySafari and ASIAIR pro

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tpaairman

tpaairman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:53 AM

Just wondering if SkySafari works with ASIAIR pro "out of the box" or is there anything that has to be set up first.  I've seen a couple mentions of using them together, but since the ASIAIR is not really a mount, I wasn't sure what's involved settings wise.

#2 astrosatch

astrosatch

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:26 AM

It depends of what mount you have. Most mounts can be connected through hand controller. Skywatcher also work with eqmod cable. Newer Ioptron mounts direct with usb cable. There is some settings in skysafari to make it work with different mounts. However you need skysafari plus or pro version to use it with asiair.

#3 aruckle

aruckle

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:31 PM

I have an ASIair Pro which I use with my Losmandy G11-T & Gemini2 since March.  Sky Safari 6 Plus on my Ipad, connects to the ASIair Pro with no issues to this point   

I is much eaisier to deal with than the built in object finder catalogs, of the ASIair.

aruckle

Edited by aruckle, 18 September 2020 - 02:33 PM.

#4 GrafikDihzahyn

GrafikDihzahyn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Fly-Over State

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:35 PM

I've never been able to get SkySafari working with my mount and ASIAir Pro. I READILY admit I must be doing something wrong (connected with EQMod cable), but I've had no issues with NINA/Stellarium or APT/Cates du Ciel. It's got to be a setting somewhere that I'm just missing (didn't see the option for my mount, tried selecting 'Skywatcher' but no luck so far), so I'll be following this thread. Hopefully we can learn together!

#5 tpaairman

tpaairman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 04:06 PM

I guess where I might have some confusion then, is would I have SkySafari connect to the mount itself or to the ASIAIR?  My tablet would be connected to the AIR.  For me to connect to the mount, I'd have to switch the wifi from ASIAIR to the mount's hotspot. 

I was on the thinking (and I don't know if I'm right or wrong) that in SkySari, I would set the ASIAIR as my mount.

#6 cyberdoctorind

cyberdoctorind

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas,TX

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:58 PM

I use SkySafari Pro with ASIAIR Pro and CEM40.  The way it works is that you connect your ASIAIR Pro to your Mount using the USB 2 Cable from the ASIAIR to the mount. Once your are able to connect the mount to ASIAIR, configuring Sky Safari is straight forward. In the telescope settings in SkySafari Pro, select your mount in the scope Type drop down and for the mount type select "Equatorial GoTo". In communication settings, Select Wifi or Ethernet. Un-Check Auto Detect SkyFi, IP is 10.0.0.1 and Port is 4030. Save these settings and you should be good. 

Edited by cyberdoctorind, 18 September 2020 - 09:59 PM.

• GrafikDihzahyn, davidparks and km4304 like this

#7 Jose_Salcedo

Jose_Salcedo

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Porto, Portugal

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:55 PM

I use SkySafari Pro with ASIAIR Pro and CEM40. The way it works is that you connect your ASIAIR Pro to your Mount using the USB 2 Cable from the ASIAIR to the mount.

One further comment: if your mount has a RS232C interface, use a RS232C cable followed by a RS232C-USB2 converter cable/connector to connect to the ASIAIR Pro. Works like a charm.
  • cyberdoctorind likes this

#8 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:01 PM

Not to try to hijack the thread but If you control your gotos with SkySafari, how do you name the images that the ASIAir Pro takes?  Anytime I've tried it named the images with the AIR's last search.

Tks

#9 astrosatch

astrosatch

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:41 AM

You rename it in autorun menu.
  • Jose_Salcedo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics