•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Open source Ascom Time series database

observatory
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nitram

Nitram

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:17 AM

Hello everyone,

Im currently working on an open source time series database for ascom equipment. The idea behind it is to use InlfuxDB and Grafana which is a very powerful yet simple tool for displaying graphs. There will be no user interaction needed to store the data, as soon as you connect your equipment with the ascom driver, data collection is started and will be stored until you choose to remove it from the database.

Right now I have a few python scripts that are running in the background and collects data from Phd2, tempsensor/humidity sensor, mount (alt/az + Ra/Dec). They are still under development so the data from Phd looks a bit messy. 

There is multiple uses for a time series database like this. For instance you could monitor all your equipment over time from a single window in a web browser. It is very simple to access old data so that you can compare e.g. guiding RMS between different sessions or look at your guiding performance for the last 6 months.

It is possible to configure any graph you want with any type of data for analyzing problems or getting more knowledge about the conditions needed for a certain target. If you have a weather station you could compare wind speed with guiding performance. Since i have an observatory i usually go to sleep when imaging, this database will allow me to see what happened during the imaging session. In the attached picture you can see that the star mass dropped between 23:55 - 00:15. This is most likely due to some thin clouds rolling in so images from this time span will be a bit more noisy. You can also see a bump in the Alt angle, this is where the automatic meridian flip occured. 

This is just a first test, so there is alot of improvements and features to implement. What do you think of this idea, is this something that anyone would be interested in? If so, i will put the source code and some instructions on how to set it up on github. 

It would also be very interesting to hear if you have ideas about what this could be used for. What data do you think would be usefull to collect from your ascom equipment or image capture sofware? 

Attached Thumbnails

• NOOO time series database.PNG

Edited by Nitram, 18 September 2020 - 05:18 AM.

• tjay likes this

#2 ButterFly

ButterFly

Apollo

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:54 AM

Wind + guiding and temperature + focus can be very useful.  Temp shifts can then be fed back to update the focus frequency.  Not much to do about wind and clouds other than stop and save space.

#3 Nitram

Nitram

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:57 AM

Here is another example. In this graph you can see the angle of the moon and sun and moon illumination in %. This graph and data source was created by another person as a plugin for grafana. https://grafana.com/...moon-datasource

The neat thing with grafana is that dashboards and graphs can be created and shared by anyone. 

Attached Thumbnails

• MoonAndSun.PNG

#4 Nitram

Nitram

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:09 AM

Wind + guiding and temperature + focus can be very useful.  Temp shifts can then be fed back to update the focus frequency.  Not much to do about wind and clouds other than stop and save space.

Focus position is good idea! I believe that this tool is most useful for displaying data. It is possible to use it as a feedback system but it will require a lot of work to implement it and make it reliable.

For SGP users: It would also be nice to get the image history from SGP so that image quality related data could be compared to weather and guiding. They don't have this information exposed in their API. If more users are interrested in this feature, i might be able to convince them to make this information exposed trough their api. 

#5 Scott Mitchell

Scott Mitchell

Apollo

• Loc: Atlanta-ish, GA

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:24 PM

Very cool idea. Interested to see how this develops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics