•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TPAS via Argo Navis or Nexus DSC for simplicity?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GRAFFIAS

GRAFFIAS

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:32 AM

Hi,

I've got an Argo Navis/Servocat combination on my 20 inch but haven't dared try the TPAS  procedure yet as it just sounds fiendishly involved and complicated when reading the manual. 

Can anyone shed any light on how easy or difficult it is to do via Nexus?  This is one aspect I'm considering in weighing up whether or not to move to Nexus, which might just provide a more user friendly interface.

Thanks.

Edited by GRAFFIAS, 18 September 2020 - 05:33 AM.

#2 brisdob

brisdob

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:37 AM

I have both Argo Navis and a Nexus DSC on an Obsession 18" classic and swap between the two.  The Nexus DSC has a more friendly interface for its MPAS routine but after doing it a couple of times on both the Argo and Nexus DSC it becomes second nature.

Edited by brisdob, 18 September 2020 - 07:38 AM.

#3 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:00 PM

On the Argo group a couple of people posted their TPAS routines.

I have also wanted to try it, but realistically I am happy with the accuracy I get now.

#4 GRAFFIAS

GRAFFIAS

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:03 PM

Brisdob, apart from having to enter some parameters in the Nexus before you start, is swopping from the A. Navis to the Nexus as easy as just disconnecting the connections to A. Navis and plugging them instead to Nexus?  

#5 brisdob

brisdob

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:58 AM

Brisdob, apart from having to enter some parameters in the Nexus before you start, is swopping from the A. Navis to the Nexus as easy as just disconnecting the connections to A. Navis and plugging them instead to Nexus?  

Yes it is, just unplug Argo Navis and Plug in Nexus DSC.  Just to make absolutely certain we are on the same page - Nexus DSC - I have no idea about the different Nexus device that simply interfaces with encoders and requires a Planetarium program to work.  The only other point to note is that Nexus DSC requires both a serial and USB cable to interface with ServoCat whereas Argo just requires the serial cable.  I can't recall offhand whether the pinouts for the Argo Navis and Nexus DSC serial cable are identical because I added the ServoCat after I got the Nexus DSC.

#6 GRAFFIAS

GRAFFIAS

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:41 AM

Thanks for that.  Do you find you lose anything in terms of convenience or functionality when you switch to Nexus DSC?  Is there any aspect of Argo Navis which works better in tandem with Servocat?

#7 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:58 AM

Yes it is, just unplug Argo Navis and Plug in Nexus DSC.  Just to make absolutely certain we are on the same page - Nexus DSC - I have no idea about the different Nexus device that simply interfaces with encoders and requires a Planetarium program to work.  The only other point to note is that Nexus DSC requires both a serial and USB cable to interface with ServoCat whereas Argo just requires the serial cable.  I can't recall offhand whether the pinouts for the Argo Navis and Nexus DSC serial cable are identical because I added the ServoCat after I got the Nexus DSC.

Not quite regarding the connections' requirement. Nexus DSC requires only the serial connection to ServoCAT. The second connection (USB on Nexus DSC to USB/serial PC port on ServoCAT) is optional and provides additional functionality - it enables issuing GOTO/slew commands from Nexus DSC itself or SkySafari Plus/Pro or other planetarium application. 

Best Regards,

Serge.

#8 GRAFFIAS

GRAFFIAS

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:55 PM

Thanks for that, Serge.

#9 brisdob

brisdob

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:25 AM

Thanks for that.  Do you find you lose anything in terms of convenience or functionality when you switch to Nexus DSC?  Is there any aspect of Argo Navis which works better in tandem with Servocat?

Hi Graffias, Now that Serge has implemented the auto lock function there are no functional differences with ServoCat that I have noticed, but my needs are fairly basic - if the slew puts the object near the middle of the field of view and it stays there when tracking for a couple of minutes I am happy! Both systems do that.  I find the user interface far more user friendly with Nexus DSC and generally prefer it over Argo Navis.  The one area where I think Argo Navis is preferable, which is when I switch over to it, is the menu option for miscellaneous double stars.  It includes doubles from many catalogues and with the constellation filter and a guide to doubles - I love the Sissy Haas book - makes observing a breeze with no flipping between menus or cross referencing catalogues.  But the rechargeable battery, GPS and built in Wi Fi of Nexus DSC are features that I find it hard to live without.

#10 brisdob

brisdob

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:31 AM

Not quite regarding the connections' requirement. Nexus DSC requires only the serial connection to ServoCAT. The second connection (USB on Nexus DSC to USB/serial PC port on ServoCAT) is optional and provides additional functionality - it enables issuing GOTO/slew commands from Nexus DSC itself or SkySafari Plus/Pro or other planetarium application. 

Best Regards,

Serge.

Thanks Serge.  Hope all is well with you in these odd times.

#11 GRAFFIAS

GRAFFIAS

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:21 AM

The Sissy Haas book?  That's one I haven't heard of, and I thought I had quite a good library!

Thank you for your observations, Brisdob.  I think I'll make the change over.  Dialling and pushing on A. Navis to make a selction is no big deal, but multiplied over many times in the course of a long night becomes a hassle.  Changing menu order items and downloading new catalogues or objects also seems much easier on Nexus DSC too.

#12 brisdob

brisdob

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:30 AM

This one Graffias - not just for small telescopes!

https://skyandtelesc...star-resources/

#13 GRAFFIAS

GRAFFIAS

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:49 AM

Thank you!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics