•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

question about my orion 10" intelliscope

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 donald41

donald41

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 18 September 2020 - 11:21 AM

i have this scope on a low cart and just roll it out on my open patio then drop two stabilizers locking them down to assure no movement, after that i set down and observe.  the only problem i have with this setup is finding a way to mount the hand held locator.  if i mount it on the side of the dob then i have to bend over to see the screen not being slanted upward. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks, don  

#2 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 18 September 2020 - 11:54 AM

i have this scope on a low cart and just roll it out on my open patio then drop two stabilizers locking them down to assure no movement, after that i set down and observe.  the only problem i have with this setup is finding a way to mount the hand held locator.  if i mount it on the side of the dob then i have to bend over to see the screen not being slanted upward. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks, don  

I use industrial velcro, and have it in a couple of places depending on where I want to place my hand controller.

#3 AJ

AJ

Viking 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:22 AM

Orion discontinued their IntelliScope COL Holster accessory years ago.  The holster holds the hand controller up high and tilted back so it can be used either seated or standing.  Works great on my XT6i and XT10i.  It's nice to be able to key in numbers and view the display without hand-holding the COL.  Mounting slots slide under 2 screws so it's simple to swap the holster between scopes.

If this appeals to you, then you might place a Wanted ad (I bought mine used).  Or, you could probably fabricate one yourself, or have a machine shop make one.  It is bent from a single piece of sheet metal.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0169.JPG
  • DSCF0171.JPG
  • DSCF0172.JPG
  • DSCF0183.JPG

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 19 September 2020 - 11:17 AM

Take AJ's pic and have someone 3D Print one.

#5 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Viking 1

• Loc: Saint Augustine, FL

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:18 PM

I could design one and 3d print it for you.

I would just need the measurements because I don't have one yet.

#6 Mitchell M.

Mitchell M.

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mountains of Western NC

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:23 PM

After doing the 2 star alignment, I just hang mine off of the finder scope at the eyepiece. Select an object, hang on finder scope and then move scope to target. Works well enough.

#7 donald41

donald41

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:54 AM

i made one using material from hobby lobby and lowes. thanks for all the replies, don

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1025.JPG

• turtle86 likes this

#8 donald41

donald41

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:55 AM

another photo side view.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1026.JPG

#9 donald41

donald41

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:01 AM

if you notice, there is a void at the top of the bracket, thats for a hand warmer. in the winter the locator is really sensitive to cool weather. 

#10 epee

epee

Skylab

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:50 AM

The old holster can be a knuckle biter if you not watching. The sheet metal has never cut me, but it's not pleasant to hit your fingers on or drag your hand across.
  • turtle86 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics