•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Remote AP cable question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 psy1280

psy1280

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 11:51 AM

A while ago I saw a YouTube video of someone who's scope was set up in his yard. He ran a cable from the scope to his second story home computer. I would like to do the same. Does anyone know how you would run a USB3 cable for a long distance (about 50 feet or more?). Obviously, some sort of a booster...would love to be inside this winter?

Much thanks 

Joe

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:01 PM

You would have to find an active USB3 cable that works for your system. They are easy to find on Amazon and some people get good results with them, I never have been able to do that so I use two computers and have done so for many years.   

I also think that that one remotely driven computer is not a very good idea. Imagine what happens when there is a problem with the system. If the computer is 50 feet away from the mount, you are going to have to move everything out to the mount to figure out what's wrong. Before doing that you're going to need to disconnect everything and then re-connect at the mount. 

I recommend just using wifi if the imaging system is in the back yard. I ran this way for years and years with no issues at all. That does require two computers - one at the mount and one inside the house. It's not that expensive because you can use a cheap (200 dollars) computer at the mount just fine for image acquisition. 

Rgrds-Ross

#3 psy1280

psy1280

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:34 PM

Ross,

Thanks for the idea. Can you elaborate a bit. I want to be able to use SharpCap to do some lifestacking, would this work with two computers? I don't think this would be possible via Wifi. Am I mistaken?

Joe

#4 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:27 PM

Sure it would. The remote computer which can be whatever you want it to be as it's just sending video to the one in the house. If you want to do live stacking then you will, of course, need something better than the cheap crap that I use! No matter what's going on out at the mount in terms of live stacking or any kind of image processing, a wifi connection has plenty of bandwidth to drive (as mine did) a dual monitor setup at 1920x1080 using Remote Desktop or TeamViewer. 

Rgrds-Ross

#5 psy1280

psy1280

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:34 PM

Much thank Ross, I'm going to explore this. VERY INTERESTING smile.gif

Joe

#6 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:13 PM

Assuming that you are not running Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Home Remote Assistance can be used to to control  the remote computer. It works reasonably well, about the same as some 3rd party software.

If you want the maximum performance level and have Win 10 Pro on one desktop Remote Desktop can be configured to provide full bandwidth-- no loss of image quality.

Long USB 3 cables can be problematic with image streaming. You might be able to get specific advice on cables. Quality varies, there are no bargains.

Long USB 2 cables are easy and many cameras with USB 3 connections will work satisfactorily at USB 2.

USB2 over ethernet cable also works, but the electronics required adds cost.  HDMI over ethernet cable  also works well and the hardware is not too expensive.

I am writing this while seated in a comfortable chair in he house. The PC is in the observatory 30 feet from the door.  The PC is connected via a pair of cat 6 cables, one for the LAN and the other for a HDMI USB KVM Extender. I wanted an HDMI and a  USB2 connection and this seemed to be the best way. I wasn't aware of the full bandwidth option for Remote Desktop at the time or I would have used that over wireless AC. A USB wireless adapter for the PC greatly increased the link speed compared with the built in wireless transceiver. 

#7 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 18 September 2020 - 04:20 PM

x2 on having a computer at the scope.  What if you want to do a Polemaster align, or focus a guide scope or something? You need to have one hand on the scope and see a monitor.

USB2 can be extended 50m+ with a "CAT5 USB Extender".  USB3 is difficult/expensive to extend.  Do you NEED USB3?

#8 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:42 PM

USB2 can be extended 50m+ with a "CAT5 USB Extender".  USB3 is difficult/expensive to extend.  Do you NEED USB3?

A good point. Active USB 2 cables can even be daisy chained  out to at least 90 feet and while  all of my cams are USB3 most of the time they are quite happy with a USB 2 connection. That might not work with some large 60 mega pixel sensor but it works for 4/3 and APS C.

#9 psy1280

psy1280

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 02:31 PM

Thank you all, and yes I do need USB3 cables. I'm thinking the best solution may be ASIAIR. I'll look into that as well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics