•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First EAA Image

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dmanuel

dmanuel

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:01 PM

I saved my first EAA image last night.  I can see more EAA in my future.  I'm not really interested in hours of post-processing for AP and my Bortle 6 skies make visual-only challenging at times.  My biggest hurdle at the moment is the mount.  I originally bought the mount for visual, which it performs nicely for -- but it GoTo hasn't been accurate enough to place targets precisely on my small 1/3" chip at the moment.  I already had the camera from imaging the moon and planets a few years ago, so I thought I'd give it a spin.  Overall a positive experience so I'm now looking at scope control from the computer and seeing about how to make GoTo more accurate.  Maybe EQ mode on that mount could make a difference.  Also, maybe plate solving will be helpful.  Anyways, I hope to post more in this forum in the coming months.  

m13post.png

M13, Globular Cluster in Hercules

Astro-Tech AT80ED at F/5.6 on a Skywatcher AZ-GTi in Alt/Az Mode

ZWO ASI120MC-S

15s x 21 = 315s total integration time

09/18/2020 02:17 UT

Thanks for all of the info in this forum that got me off of the ground.

David

• Starman27, barbarosa, mike4271 and 4 others like this

#2 GazingOli

GazingOli

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Stuttgart GERMANY

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:24 PM

Hi David,

you got a good start! Congrats.

What is the problem when placing the objects in the center of the camera? When looking for an object I usually go on high gain and short exposure until I found it. Then I slew the scope until it is in the center of the cam and then put the settings (gain and exposure time) back to what I think is good for live stacking. Relatively simple procedure...

CS.Oli

#3 nic35

nic35

Apollo

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:37 PM

Plate solving  using Sharpcap is the way to go.  Makes it oh so easy.  It doesn't matter if you are in alt-az or gem mode - so long as you've properly configured your software.

j

Edited by nic35, 18 September 2020 - 01:38 PM.

#4 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:37 PM

Plate solving solves many pointing problems. It looks as if there is an ASCOM driver for the Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi so if for example you run SharpCap you can install any of four plate solving programs, ASTAP is the current favorite, and SharpCap uses it for a one button place solve. Pointing and syncing the mount very accurately. Very fast.

The hand controller manual has some good tips for getting the best performance, but it starts with an accurate alignment. if you are able to use the camera when you align you're ahead already. A small sensor cam is like a short focal length EP and with or without plate solving you are going to be better off than using an EP.

EQ  mode doesn't improve go to performance and adds the requirement for precise orientation to the CP, The advantage is longer exposures without field rotation.

#5 dmanuel

dmanuel

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:58 PM

Plate solving is definitely the way to go.   Basically, I fire up the SynScan app and do a 1-star align on a bright star or planet with the clutches disengaged.  Once it is done slewing, I move the scope and center the star in the field of view of my 24 mm eyepiece and replace the eyepiece/diagonal setup with the reducer/camera setup- then lock the clutches.  The object is usually hitting the sensor, so I just turn on the crosshairs in SharpCap, fine tune and then tell SynScan I'm aligned.  After that, I can just issue goto commands from Stellarium and plate solve in SharpCap.  Is working well for me at the moment.  Once I get a finder on my scope, I may be able to use that instead of the eyepiece - especially once I get a camera with a larger sensor.

Thanks for the suggestions,

David

Edited by dmanuel, 22 September 2020 - 12:59 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics