•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EXOS2 PMC8 vs CGEM I?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alexre1

alexre1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:05 PM

Hi everyone,

I currently own and have been using an EXOS2 PMC8 mount (paired with a C8 w/ Celestron 0.63FR, ASI385MC) over the much of the last year, primarily for EAA. The EXOS2 was my first GEM mount (so I am relatively new to equatorial mounts overall), and my experience with it over the last year was phenomenal. I've used the mount extensively with ASCOM, SharpCap, ASPS, etc...

Last week I had the chance to buy a used C8 and CGEM (the original model, about 5 years old, not the newer CGEM II) for a very good price. I bought this primarily for the C8 which is newer than my current one - and my plan was to sell my old C8 and one of the extra mounts.

So here is the question: should I keep the EXOS2 PMC8 or the CGEM? 

Here are some of my current thoughts:

• While the CGEM is definitely a heavier mount, I would have no problem assembling or using it. The weight is not a huge problem.
  • My primary workflow is EAA, though I would love to keep the door open to future astrophotography
  • My intention would be to primarily drive the mount via ASCOM / SharpCap
  • The EXOS2 has a belt system vs. the CGEM gear system - is this a huge difference?
  • EXOS2 is rated for 40b visual 28lb astrophotography; the CGEM is also rated for 40lb visual. That being said the CGEM is definitely much heavier and more solid - does this make a huge difference?

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Alex

#2 Dwight J

Dwight J

Soyuz

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:42 PM

Keep both if you can.  The lighter mount will be useful for trips to darks sites and for future expansion of your scope collection.  Belt drives have less backlash so better when guiding in Dec.  Heavy doesn’t always get you stability as the tripod has a lot to do with it.  Mounting on a pier gets you much more stability if that is what you are looking for.

#3 alexre1

alexre1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:20 PM

Keep both if you can.  The lighter mount will be useful for trips to darks sites and for future expansion of your scope collection.  Belt drives have less backlash so better when guiding in Dec.  Heavy doesn’t always get you stability as the tripod has a lot to do with it.  Mounting on a pier gets you much more stability if that is what you are looking for.

Unfortunately keeping both isn't in the cards :(

Which would you suggest keeping and why?

#4 Dwight J

Dwight J

Soyuz

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:47 PM

If you are a basic stay in the backyard type then the Celestron would be better as it’s weight will not be an issue.  If you have plans for mobility the EXOS would be a better fit due to it’s lighter weight.  I have a heavy stay at home mount and a lightweight SkyWatcher EQ3 SynScan for seeking dark sky sites.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics