•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Displaying your Meteorites

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: new york

Posted 18 September 2020 - 08:17 PM

Hello folks. I am new to the world of collecting and learning about these amazing stones and, this particular forum (space rocks). This new found hobby is a run-off of my astrophotography hobby that began in the fall of 2017.  Also, I have always had a fascination with beautiful terrestrial stones. As a child, I used to collect "cool" looking rocks and stones and bought 2 stones from the AMNH on a school field trip!

I have looked through the posts here and there are not many posts on how you folks display your collection(s). During the past 2 weeks, I have purchased 10 (small) meteorites, the largest being about 103g (an iron stone.)  I began with a single item and then purchased 9 others, three each of the major types (stony, iron, and stony irons)

I have a large, lighted, wood / glass shelved China closet, that was not being used so I cleaned it up and thought it would be a nice display for my growing collection. I would like to know your thoughts on this and if anyone is doing the same sort of thing. Also, I will be purchasing a small dehumidifier to place in the cabinet and am looking at small acrylic display stands for the meteorites.

Any tips you can throw my way is appreciated along with some pictures of your displays? Do you include info cards and/or certificates of authentication in the display? What types of stands do you use for small and larger stones? Have you added additional lighting? Any other info?

I will post some pics of my cabinet and collection as soon as I can. 

Thanks for your insights!

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 18 September 2020 - 08:50 PM

Yeah, display is an important and most-neglected aspect of arts and collectables. I designed and built this stand for my redoubtable 39-pound certified Campo meteorite. It rests on a repurposed new-old stock Porthole Glass, has a custom-blown Acrylic bubble dome, and effortlessly rotates on my built-in Lazy Susan. Note the display light and certification on the wall. This is a ~museum-class~ meteorite and display. If it were just sitting on a table, people would just say "Nice... meh." But with the display, they rave over it and offer me favors and things and even ask to sleep-over, because I'm a most interesting man.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 136.1 95 Tom's Meteorite.jpg
  • 137 Tom's Meteorite.jpg
  • 138 Tom's Meteorite.jpg

• starbob1, mwedel, mark8888 and 9 others like this

#3 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:27 PM

Tom, WOW...that is just awesome! Great thinking and creativity! If I ever acquire a meteorite like that, I will certainly come back and look at what you did. Spectacular!

#4 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:20 PM

No more inspiration? Come on folks. Show your stuff! I need ideas.

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 19 September 2020 - 11:58 PM

I know what you mean... Much as I love CN... once topics percolate down and off that most recent ten on the right side of the Home Page --- they tend to get buried in old history and ignored by 99% of visitors. I wish there were a way to scan thru the most recents as we do with e.g. emails at home --- but I've never been able to figure that out.    Tom

#6 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:11 AM

Hello folks. I am new to the world of collecting and learning about these amazing stones and, this particular forum (space rocks). ................No more inspiration? Come on folks. Show your stuff! I need ideas.

It is weird, but there's not much overlap between people who do amateur astronomy and people who collect meteorites. Thus this page has almost no traffic.

Where you want to go is here:

https://www.facebook...oups/MTIEgroup/

https://www.facebook.../meteoriteclub/

https://www.facebook...ups/spacerocks/

Even if you don't want to use Facebook, you want to make an anonymous account and join those 3 groups.  Tons of posts with photos every day by collectors, hunters and top scientists.

• lee14 likes this

#7 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the insight and the links guys!

#8 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 20 September 2020 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the insight and the links guys!

No problem!  Just to give you an idea, in reference to your question... I searched 'display' in the first group above

https://www.facebook...&epa=SEARCH_BOX

#9 starbob1

starbob1

Vanguard

• Loc: IN

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:01 AM

I use glass shelves 'got them on amazon.  Their great for my minerals

rocks  '  meteorites ect. I have 3 of them now. I love collecting nice minerals' and I have about 7 meteorites.  Great hobby.

l9eNBkhm.jpg

• j.gardavsky likes this

#10 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 11:47 AM

Thanks again Mark!
Starbob...very nice! Thanks for sharing.

I have a small (closet) dehumidifier coming for the display case, and a loupe to check all the details on these marvels. I still need to post a few pics of the china closet and collection. Been sidetracked as of late. Thanks again!

#11 starbob1

starbob1

Vanguard

• Loc: IN

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:46 AM

Thanks Greg, I highly  recommend  a Stereo Microscope for looking at and taking pic of meteorites and rocks minerals. Here is my little science lab area, next to my shelves.

QnCkVfSm.jpg

• j.gardavsky likes this

#12 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:41 PM

So funny you should mention microscopes as that may very well be my next hobby! I just turned 60 and things are getting harder like house upkeep, astrophotography, fishing, you name it!

That is a great looking setup. If I do jump into that genre, I hope I can ask some questions about it all down the road!

#13 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 22 September 2020 - 01:48 PM

I have a collection of fossil wood and of some agates on display,

but no meteorites.

A small collection of tectites is sleeping in a drawer.

Best,

JG

• nyairman likes this

#14 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:00 PM

Finally got around to getting the pictures of the current display. I have another item on order along with certificates of authentication

that I did not have yet. Also, received the dehumidifier and loupe yesterday! Very pleased so far!

meteorite display
chinacabinet6hires
chinacabinet4hires
chinacabinet3hires
Meteorite display

Thanks for looking and any other suggestions is very welcome!

• j.gardavsky likes this

#15 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:28 PM

Finally got around to getting the pictures of the current display. I have another item on order along with certificates of authentication

that I did not have yet. Also, received the dehumidifier and loupe yesterday! Very pleased so far!

Thanks for looking and any other suggestions is very welcome!

Really very nice, and professionally made display for the collection!

Unfortunately, I don't pay as much attention to displaying the minerals and fossils in my collection.

This also reminds me to find enough time to put and to document the hundreds of samples on my computer, ha, ha.

Thank you for sharing your pictures,

JG

#16 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:20 PM

Thanks JG! I am thinking of adding some additional lighting to the cabinet. This would have to be battery run units but I will have to research this too!

Edited by nyairman, 23 September 2020 - 05:41 PM.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#17 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:23 AM

I had a large aquarium that I no longer kept working.  I put boxes of different sizes on the bottom, covered them by laying a blue cloth over them.  I then had different places that were used to display the larger ones.  Across the front, I had all the micros.  Worked very well.  However when I remodeled the room, the aquarium was removed, and I sold my collection.

I'll see if I can find photos of that setup.

• nyairman likes this

#18 Meteorite finder

Meteorite finder

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:44 PM

Hello, I just joined CN and was perusing the different forums and found Space Rocks.

I display my meteorite collection in glass top jewelry display boxes.  I have labels for each meteorite from two different sources. Most of the meteorite specimens are between 10-30 grams to fit in the case better. The larger specimens are displayed on the counter top with mineral display stands. The meteorites I have personally found (Gold Basin, Stewart Valley, Franconia, and Yelland Dry Lake) all fit nicely in the cases. I currently have meteorites from 66 different worldwide locations. 

I would attach some pictures but do not know how...maybe someone can give me some help. I have them on my desktop in a reduced size but I am unable to drag them over to this reply.

Thanks Dave

#19 Meteorite finder

Meteorite finder

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 October 2020 - 10:16 PM

thumbnail_IMG_2427.jpg

Meteorites from North America.

• csa/montana, starbob1, mwedel and 2 others like this

#20 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2020 - 12:23 PM

Meteorite finder,..very nice! I think I may try and do this for traveling/showing. Can you share the type of case you have or a link to the manufacture?

I like the layout of the case. Impressive USA collection!

Thanks for sharing!!

#21 Meteorite finder

Meteorite finder

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 October 2020 - 02:09 PM

Nyairman,

I purchase the jewelry display cases from 2 places.
eBay-Novel Box. Cheap and free shipping. Pretty good quality. Jewelry Display.com high shipping, wait for a sale.
The meteorite labels are from (the black ones) Roman at MeteoriteLabels.com. He has a large selection of older meteorites. I think the last time he created a new label was for Chelyabinsk in 2013. The silver labels com from Vladislav in Russia. He is called Space-Earth-Ocean.com. He makes new labels all the time. Example is the 2019 fall in Vinales, Cuba. All my labels are bent to stand on their own.
I keep all my COA’s in my safe and only buy from IMCA members, unless I find one at a known strewn field close to home. Quite a few great sources here in the desert Southwest.

Good luck, Dave
  • csa/montana, Mike R and nyairman like this

#22 TimN

TimN

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 October 2020 - 10:06 AM

Dave, Welcome to Cloudy Nights. That is very nice North American collection and I really like the way you have displayed them.

#23 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:05 AM

Nyairman,

I purchase the jewelry display cases from 2 places.
eBay-Novel Box. Cheap and free shipping. Pretty good quality. Jewelry Display.com high shipping, wait for a sale.
The meteorite labels are from (the black ones) Roman at MeteoriteLabels.com. He has a large selection of older meteorites. I think the last time he created a new label was for Chelyabinsk in 2013. The silver labels com from Vladislav in Russia. He is called Space-Earth-Ocean.com. He makes new labels all the time. Example is the 2019 fall in Vinales, Cuba. All my labels are bent to stand on their own.
I keep all my COA’s in my safe and only buy from IMCA members, unless I find one at a known strewn field close to home. Quite a few great sources here in the desert Southwest.

Good luck, Dave

Dave, thank you and welcome to CN's!  Thanks for sharing your sources with us as it can be a daunting task to find these things on-line and get decent products. Many folks are reluctant to share their sources. Again, I really like that display setup!

#24 Meteorite finder

Meteorite finder

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 October 2020 - 12:24 PM

Thank you guys for the welcome.

Just a couple more things.
I saw your humidifier, good purchase to protect the irons and stony irons from rust and degradation. The stone meteorites are not going to have any issues. It didn’t show in my photo but I use the small aluminum bead filled rechargeable desiccant containers in my cases. Living everyday with 4% humidity is not really a problem for me. When the beads turn green I just bake them in the oven to recharge.
Also for the display cases I buy the thin faux felt liners for the bottom of the cases Looks nice and protects the meteorites from sitting on the wood bottom.

If I get a chance I’ll post another photo tonight.

Thanks again Dave
  • nyairman likes this

#25 Meteorite finder

Meteorite finder

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 October 2020 - 08:48 PM

Here is another display case with meteorites from Europe, Russia, Australia, South America, China, and the Philippines.

Thanks for looking   Dave

thumbnail_IMG_2429.jpg

• csa/montana, mwedel, TimN and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics