•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Displaying your Meteorites

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: new york

Posted 09 October 2020 - 10:45 AM

Here is another display case with meteorites from Europe, Russia, Australia, South America, China, and the Philippines.

Thanks for looking   Dave

attachicon.gifthumbnail_IMG_2429.jpg

Very impressive display Dave! Curious as to how long you have been collecting? I have just started and I am really

enjoying this new found hobby. I find myself using my jewelers loupe everyday to gaze into all of the beautiful colors

and crevices from billions of years of creation. 

Thanks again for sharing!

#27 Meteorite finder

Meteorite finder

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV

Posted 09 October 2020 - 11:47 AM

Greg,

I have been collecting off and on for about 15 years. It’s funny just recently I found an old black and white photo of me standing on the edge of Meteor Crater in Arizona from January 1961. I was 5 1/2 yrs old. Maybe that’s the planted seed, lol. I’ve been there numerous times since. I have a nice collection of vintage Meteor Crater items. 
You should check out Aerolite meteorite website. Geoffrey Notkin is the man. Maybe pick up his latest book How to find Treasure from Space.  Lots of great info. 

Thanks Dave

• nyairman likes this

#28 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:40 PM

Greg,

I have been collecting off and on for about 15 years. It’s funny just recently I found an old black and white photo of me standing on the edge of Meteor Crater in Arizona from January 1961. I was 5 1/2 yrs old. Maybe that’s the planted seed, lol. I’ve been there numerous times since. I have a nice collection of vintage Meteor Crater items. 
You should check out Aerolite meteorite website. Geoffrey Notkin is the man. Maybe pick up his latest book How to find Treasure from Space.  Lots of great info. 

Thanks Dave

Sounds like you have a solid hobby after 15 years! Maybe integrate that B&W photo with one of your displays for fun and as a reminder of how you got started! I am not sure how long this hobby will stick with me but, I am interested in finding my own meteorite(s) too.

So far, 99% of my purchases have been with Aerolite. I love the website and the staff is wonderful to work with. Every step of the way, they have really been a 5 star company as far as I am concerned. I recently purchased a meteorite from them on their last live Facebook stream and that was really fun and very informative. They said that they were going to have another one this month.

So, as I am getting older, I cannot get out as much as I would like to "hunt" for my own meteorites. Do you think it would be worth my time and money to purchase the latest book from Notkin and pursue this? I almost bought a heavy duty magnetic sweeping stick to play around with locally but I really need to think this through.

Thanks again for sharing your information!

Greg T. 

#29 Meteorite finder

Meteorite finder

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV

Posted 10 October 2020 - 12:36 AM

Greg,

Finding a meteorite is not an easy thing to do.  Finding one just by chance is even harder.  You live in NY, not many finds or falls from there.  The best chance of finding a meteorite is in an arid climate like the desert SW, Sahara desert, Atacama desert, etc.  I know that over the years meteorites have fallen in the Everglades in Florida but they could never be recovered, just like the ocean.  The book has a lot of good info for just learning about meteorites. You can YouTube old TV shows of Meteorite Men With Geoffrey Notkin and Steve Arnold.  Fun to watch. I spent an afternoon talking with Steve Arnold at his meteorite store in Eureka Springs Arkansas a few years ago.  

My wife doesn’t let me go wandering around the desert anymore by myself. So my time is also limited. When I go to Gold Basin in Arizona my main focus is gold prospecting. Great place for stargazing, dark skies.  When I get tired of shoveling, picking, and dry washing I pull out the metal detector and search for meteorites in a known strewn field.  Most of the time empty handed. It’s harder to find them now than 10 years ago.  I also have homemade meteorite canes.  Wooden dowel, foam grip, and rare earth magnet attached to the bottom.  These work good on dry lake beds where you can also visually find meteorites if your lucky enough.

You never know where a meteorite could be found.  A guy wandering around the desert, a farmer plowing a field in Kansas, or a single 20 lb. meteorite that is buried In a field close to your house that’s been there 20,000 years. 

Have fun with it, thanks Dave

• mdowns and j.gardavsky like this

#30 Pointsoflight

Pointsoflight

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 October 2020 - 04:03 AM

Those are rockin’ displays guys! Well done n beaut!

#31 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2020 - 08:30 PM

Greg,

Finding a meteorite is not an easy thing to do.  Finding one just by chance is even harder.  You live in NY, not many finds or falls from there.  The best chance of finding a meteorite is in an arid climate like the desert SW, Sahara desert, Atacama desert, etc.  I know that over the years meteorites have fallen in the Everglades in Florida but they could never be recovered, just like the ocean.  The book has a lot of good info for just learning about meteorites. You can YouTube old TV shows of Meteorite Men With Geoffrey Notkin and Steve Arnold.  Fun to watch. I spent an afternoon talking with Steve Arnold at his meteorite store in Eureka Springs Arkansas a few years ago.  

My wife doesn’t let me go wandering around the desert anymore by myself. So my time is also limited. When I go to Gold Basin in Arizona my main focus is gold prospecting. Great place for stargazing, dark skies.  When I get tired of shoveling, picking, and dry washing I pull out the metal detector and search for meteorites in a known strewn field.  Most of the time empty handed. It’s harder to find them now than 10 years ago.  I also have homemade meteorite canes.  Wooden dowel, foam grip, and rare earth magnet attached to the bottom.  These work good on dry lake beds where you can also visually find meteorites if your lucky enough.

You never know where a meteorite could be found.  A guy wandering around the desert, a farmer plowing a field in Kansas, or a single 20 lb. meteorite that is buried In a field close to your house that’s been there 20,000 years. 

Have fun with it, thanks Dave

Sorry for the last post,..not sure what happened. ( no text) so I deleted it.

So Dave, great information and that is just what I thought. Given my location, and lack of great mobility, your insight just confirmed my thoughts. Trying to find meteors here, and without any equipment really is not something that can be done. But I appreciate you sharing your history. Nice summary on your long love of the hobby.

Also your dedication shows. I only wish that I began these astro hobbies when I was a child!

That said, I will keep my eyes out for that weird looking rock in my travels and maybe put together a homemade rare Earth magnet for my backyard! I will have fun with this hobby as long as I can!

• Meteorite finder likes this

#32 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:58 PM

I have a display case from Ikea.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8786.jpg

• lee14, mdowns, nyairman and 1 other like this

#33 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:59 PM

IMG_8789.jpg

• lee14, mdowns, nyairman and 1 other like this

#34 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 06:52 PM

I have a display case from Ikea.

hfjacinto, very nice displays and collection! Your stand up cards are very similar to Meteorite finders and the case is as well. I like the contrast of the whole setup.

I have added additional lighting in my converted china closet in the form of LED light pucks. They are a great addition to the two built in lights of the display. Also, they can change colors (RGB), fade colors, go to 50% power and more! The package came with 6 pucks and 2 remotes too for a very nice price!

I will post some more pics and maybe a video link (to show the lighting effects,)  when I get a chance. Thanks for sharing folks!

• hfjacinto likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics