•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

N00b question...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:03 PM

So I'm wondering, I currently run my heq5 through the sw ascom driver. I have my money hooked up to my pc through the hand controller. My question is... Do the settings on the hands controller matter if I'm running it this way? It's the v5 synscan so I, don't think, you have to put it into pc mode. Thanks for any help!

#2 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:09 PM

Oh and I'm using apt and plate solving to do image acquisition.

#3 jdupton

jdupton

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:13 PM

Teddythefinger,

You are correct. When using the SW ASCOM Driver, you must not put the hand control into PC Direct mode. That mode of the Hand Control is only used if you use the EQMOD ASCOM Driver (EQASCOM) or if you use the SW SynScan Windows App directly.

If you would like to learn more about the different methods for connection and how they differ, you are welcome to read the very long and detailed tutorial I wrote several years ago. It predates the V5 hand control and mounts with USB connections but once you are cabled up the software set-ups are the same. The tutorial goes into some depth about why things work the way they do also.

https://www.atm-workshop.com/synscan-pc-connect.html

John

PS: I forgot to answer your main question. (Sorry about that.) If you use the SW ASCOM Driver, yes, you should set up the hand control as normal and do a star alignment before connecting. If however, you someday switch to using EQMOD, you do not need to set anything up prior to connecting the EQMOD driver. More about this is explained in the tutorial.

Edited by jdupton, 18 September 2020 - 10:16 PM.

#4 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:31 PM

Thanks John! Ok so... Star alignment is necessary, from the hand controller, even if I'm using apt to do my plate solving and go-to?

#5 jdupton

jdupton

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:11 AM

Teddythefinger,

If you use plate solving to get to your targets, you do not need to have done the star alignment.

You only need to be moderately well polar aligned and and starting from the Home Position of the mount, then everything should work without a star alignment. (That will get you close enough that the plate solve will do the rest.) If you use a connected planetarium program, also make sure that the plate solving results are sync'ed back to the planetarium software or you may not see the correct position displayed on the star map.

John

#6 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:38 AM

Thanks again, John! But just to clarify, if I'm having it hooked up to the PC through the hand controller, the settings on the HC need to match APT too, correct? I've just been having issues with APT slewing to the target and I think it's because I'm not inputing anything into the HC when I hook it up. I'm just doing it all through APT.

#7 jdupton

jdupton

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:30 AM

Teddythefinger,

Thanks again, John! But just to clarify, if I'm having it hooked up to the PC through the hand controller, the settings on the HC need to match APT too, correct? I've just been having issues with APT slewing to the target and I think it's because I'm not inputing anything into the HC when I hook it up. I'm just doing it all through APT.

Yes, you do need to input all the proper initialization information into the hand control. The hand control contains the "model" of where things are in the sky. If you have not input the correct location, time zone, and time, then the hand control will not go where you want it to.

Plate solving will return accurate coordinates in the sky for where the mount is pointed. However, those coordinates appear differently for two locations on the earth. At any given time, the Andromeda Nebula will be in a different area of the sky as seen from New York versus San Francisco. The hand control must know exactly where it is and what time it is in order for it know where in the sky Andromeda is located.

If you are new to this, one other thing to keep in mind is that the Time Zone you enter into the hand control is a Location and not a time. At any given location, the Time Zone never changes. Time Zone and Daylight Saving Time are two completely different things. You may already understand that difference but it trips up many who are new to SynScan mounts. (It is sort of like many non-astronomy folks think a Light Year is a measurement of time rather than distance. Time zone is a measure of Location and not time.)

John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics