•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What was the worst observing session that made you want to quit the hobby?

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#76 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:45 PM

A 10 foot screen like I have will definitely block most of the light, and create an eyesore for the neighbors.   Maybe they will eventually tire of pickle ball anyway. 

#77 doctordub

doctordub

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New Rochelle, New York

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:23 PM

As soon ask "what was the worst meal you ever ate that made you want to quit eating.?"

smile.gif

Jim

Eating at that restaurant, yeah.lol.gif

CS

Jonathan

• therealdmt likes this

#78 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:16 PM

We had a similar light issue with our neighbor in the rear (our back yard is to the right, out of the view in this picture). The light is literally a commercial unit just like you'd see on a car lot - it is the brightest spotlight I have ever seen. He kept the thing on all night long, every night - it was so bright that it l it the walls in my bedroom even with the blinds fully closed. I nicely asked three times for him to put barn doors to control the light to no effect. I finally got the HOA involved. They initially didn't want to step in, but when I insisted that they actually look at the light the immediately send a letter that got it removed. I'm a nice guy and all but when you impede on other people's ability to sleep it draws a line. That was the point my Mr. Nice Guy attitude stopped. I hate that it affects my relationship with them but honestly I don't care, I'm too old to worry about other people's feelings when stuff like this happens.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200523_221622 (Medium).jpg

• ArizonaScott, csa/montana, doctordub and 9 others like this

#79 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Apollo

• Loc: Saint Augustine, FL

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:35 PM

LED street lights installed around my house. 

The shield I paid the city $150 to install a year ago was removed.  When I complained they re-installed it shielding my shed and my fence line but not my yard or house.  Seemed intentional.

More complaints resulted in nothing.

I sold most of my telescope gear in anger... my eyepieces, my mounts, cameras, everything.. I had enough of astronomy when I couldn't even do it from my own yard.

When I was down to my last items... the Classic orange C8 OTA which had greats optics and a 14mm Meade 4000 UWA I chickened out.

I couldn't bring myself to go thru with it.  A better solution was to leave the stupid city and all of it's money grubbing stupidness.

Now I've moved to a rural area with darker skies and purchased another mount and am slowly rebuilding my eyepiece collection.

Plus straws are legal, beach parking is free, and no nosy neighbors complaining about everything from yard sales to grass height.  I'll never go back... but I may move further out again soon.

Edited by Tom Stock, 19 October 2020 - 02:43 PM.

• doctordub, Phil Cowell, HellsKitchen and 4 others like this

#80 Ian67

Ian67

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:23 PM

I have  had too many instances where  I have  wanted to give  up observing, but never  the  science itself. Finally after  50+ years of failures to numerous to mention, I have  given up on telescopes completely. Now  I use binoculars of read about new  scientific developments in astronomy.

#81 grif 678

grif 678

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NC

Posted 21 October 2020 - 04:47 PM

Not one thing, but many disappointments over and over. Like getting cloudy nearly every night, especially when you want to see something special. Mosquitoes and sweat in the summer, cold nights in the winter ( for us older folks ), now light pollution everywhere. Pain from old age really stops many sessions.

#82 Jethro7

Jethro7

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:10 PM

Hello Cners, 

I dont need to say much about it just a pic will say alot. This is close. It was giffted to me just a week ago. And it is toast.

20201021 214227

Edited by Jethro7, 22 October 2020 - 02:05 AM.

• Diana N, BJ4232 and Leia like this

#83 BJ4232

BJ4232

Sputnik

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:26 PM

Hello Cners, 

I dont need to say much about it just a pic will say alot. This is close. It was giffted to me just a week ago. And it is toast.

Pictures are worth a thousand words. 

I have only one- OUCH!

Bill J. 

• Diana N, Jethro7 and Leia like this

#84 Arcticpaddler

Arcticpaddler

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Minnesota, USA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:45 PM

Nothing has made me want to leave the hobby, but I have had plenty of frustrating experiences. 

Clouds of mosquitoes on humid summer nights, brutal cold that stiffens focusers and distorts optics in winter, long periods of smoke or overcast, etc.

Happily, I don't suffer from light pollution, obtrusive neighbors, or safety issues that so many folks do--and when everything comes together the observing is splendid.

• Diana N likes this

#85 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Apollo

Posted 14 August 2021 - 03:09 PM

LED street lights installed around my house. 

The shield I paid the city $150 to install a year ago was removed.  When I complained they re-installed it shielding my shed and my fence line but not my yard or house.  Seemed intentional.

More complaints resulted in nothing.

I sold most of my telescope gear in anger... my eyepieces, my mounts, cameras, everything.. I had enough of astronomy when I couldn't even do it from my own yard.

When I was down to my last items... the Classic orange C8 OTA which had greats optics and a 14mm Meade 4000 UWA I chickened out.

I couldn't bring myself to go thru with it.  A better solution was to leave the stupid city and all of it's money grubbing stupidness.

Now I've moved to a rural area with darker skies and purchased another mount and am slowly rebuilding my eyepiece collection.

Plus straws are legal, beach parking is free, and no nosy neighbors complaining about everything from yard sales to grass height.  I'll never go back... but I may move further out again soon.

Follow up:

I am now in Bortle 4-5 skies at home having left Bortle 8-9 I grew up in.

It's changed the hobby for me.  I sold all my smaller goto scopes and finally own a 16" dob!

I have a small view of the sky near zenith on my property but its plenty for observing variables for AAVSO so I have plenty to do from home.

Just 7 miles away is a state forest with nice dark parking area which is Bortle 4 and accessible 24hrs a day and completely safe.

Couldnt be happier!  So happy I didn't leave the hobby.

• csa/montana, payner, RAKing and 1 other like this

#86 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern VA - West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 14 August 2021 - 03:44 PM

I have never had a session that made me want to quit the hobby.  I have only gotten frustrated with astronomy when I could NOT go outside for a while, either because of weather or medical issues.

No matter what I look at when I get outside, I feel good about the time I spent and it makes me want to get out even more.

Cheers,

Ron

• Jon Isaacs, payner, ShaulaB and 1 other like this

#87 dnrmilspec

dnrmilspec

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 14 August 2021 - 05:40 PM

Some years ago I was asked to participate in a star party in a somewhat distant city.  (1998 as some will figure out as they read on.)     (I must say that the club was not the excellent one to which I belong now.)  This club was having a star party that was open to the public and I was asked to bring a scope.  I decided on my 11" SCT on the CI-700 mount.  I had DSC on the mount and a little step-stool in case some little ones wanted to look through the scope.  I was far from new to astronomy and had done paid star parties before but as the "new guy" decided to be low key and just let people have fun looking through the scope.  It has always been my opinion that people do not go to star parties to see me.  The club folks showed me to my spot and I set up.

Well along came some guy from the club and he was wearing a name badge that said, in addition to Hank, the title "Star Guide".  How people were supposed to see his badge in the dark seemed a reasonable question, but then I digress.  Hank told me that he was here to help me, that he had done several star parties in the past, attended training to become a "Star Guide" and that my scope was too big for "public outreach".  I pointed out that there were a couple of Obsessions there and he said, "Don't I know it.  They are just showing off".  I told him that I thought I could make my "too big" scope work and show people some fun things, to which he replied, "just put it where I tell you to and let me handle the rest".  Then he looked puzzled and left. 

I thought, thank God he's gone, as it was getting really dark and people were showing up.  I nailed a beautiful globular and showed a couple of appreciative folks the thing when Hank showed back up.  He had forgotten his homemade red headlamp.  He asked me to go to an object (I really do forget which ones he had me find that night) but as it was a faint galaxy I told him that I thought it would be hard for people to see.  He told me that it would be fine so I said, "here's the scope, you take over."  He could not find it (he was close though, if you consider "north and up" close.  He tried a couple of other galaxies and did not find them either.  I could see he was getting frustrated so I gently asked if I could give it a try.  He said, "go ahead" so I put M3 in the 11".   (Yes.  Kinda' obvious.)   Frank looked, asked me if I knew what it was (nailing me and everyone else in the eye with his headlight every time he looked at us) and when I told him he nodded sagely and began telling the several people in line all about it.  But the thing is that everything he said was wrong.  He told them it was 40 million light years from earth.  Right Hank.  And he told them that it had well over 1000 stars.  (Well it does I suppose.)  Sadly I made the mistake of gently correcting him on this suggesting that it was a tad closer than that and had a few hundred times more stars than that, which caused him to become incensed and suggest that I let him speak until I had "some more training".  I asked him if the training folks would give me credit for college and "work experience" but all I got was a stony stare.

Anyway I stayed the course and played scope jockey for this guy, who, got mad because, among other things,  I would not look for Neptune,  and after I "let" him look for some other objects himself he suggested that we go back to M3 because it was "such a crowd pleaser".  I told him to go ahead and he said dismissively, "its your scope, you need to learn to find things". 

I probably would have sewn this guy with my scope case with pound of pepper and beat it with my weight bar,  if a friend named Tom (who had found a really important comet) had not wandered by and said hello.  He and I had some really good giggles listening to the "Star Guide" talk about how the big lens on the front of my scope helped prevent "debris" from getting on my mirror which, he told the assembled, experienced astronomers referred to as "optics".  

The drive home was perilous as I was laughing so hard that I must have seemed drunk to whoever was following me.  Sadly I never became a "Star Guide".   Some friends who were acquainted with the club said that they had never heard of the Star Guide program but I think they may have just missed it.  I mean he had a name badge and red headlight and all.   I was never invited back.    I guess it was because my scope was too big.  Or something. 

Edited by dnrmilspec, 14 August 2021 - 05:45 PM.

• Joe Bergeron, ArizonaScott, Jon Isaacs and 8 others like this

#88 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 14 August 2021 - 05:59 PM

<snip>

Anyway I stayed the course and played scope jockey for this guy, who, got mad because, among other things,  I would not look for Neptune,  and after I "let" him look for some other objects himself he suggested that we go back to M3 because it was "such a crowd pleaser".  I told him to go ahead and he said dismissively, "its your scope, you need to learn to find things". 

I probably would have sewn this guy with my scope case with pound of pepper and beat it with my weight bar,  if a friend named Tom (who had found a really important comet) had not wandered by and said hello.  He and I had some really good giggles listening to the "Star Guide" talk about how the big lens on the front of my scope helped prevent "debris" from getting on my mirror which, he told the assembled, experienced astronomers referred to as "optics".  

The drive home was perilous as I was laughing so hard that I must have seemed drunk to whoever was following me.  Sadly I never became a "Star Guide".   Some friends who were acquainted with the club said that they had never heard of the Star Guide program but I think they may have just missed it.  I mean he had a name badge and red headlight and all.   I was never invited back.    I guess it was because my scope was too big.  Or something. 

Sounds like you met the "Cliff Clavin" of amateur astronomy. lol.gif

• doctordub, dave253, Diana N and 3 others like this

#89 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Apollo

Posted 14 August 2021 - 08:58 PM

I have never had a session that made me want to quit the hobby.  I have only gotten frustrated with astronomy when I could NOT go outside for a while, either because of weather or medical issues.

No matter what I look at when I get outside, I feel good about the time I spent and it makes me want to get out even more.

Cheers,

Ron

The night my shielded street light was replaced with an LED light with no shield.

It's 11PM and this is the moment I almost left the hobby

IMG-9012.jpg

But then I moved instead... and here's the new view 10s exposure

IMG-0740.jpg

Edited by Tom Stock, 14 August 2021 - 09:07 PM.

• ArizonaScott, csa/montana, doctordub and 4 others like this

#90 Anthony Dente

Anthony Dente

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Moyers, Oklahoma

Posted 17 August 2021 - 07:39 PM

Every time I move this beast while my Sciatica is acting up...!

Attached Thumbnails

• DD63BA04-30A8-4A99-96B5-7DB5CF5A15DC.jpeg

• ArizonaScott likes this

#91 Lard Greystoke

Lard Greystoke

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 17 August 2021 - 10:05 PM

I loaded my total of 90 lbs of Dobsonian and drove more than an hour to my site, then found I'd forgotten to pack the mirror.  It didn't make me want to quit the hobby.  Just quit being stupid.

• Jon Isaacs and RAKing like this

#92 delgado39

delgado39

Ranger 4

• Loc: Glen Ellen, California

Posted 18 August 2021 - 12:05 AM

Frustration, Exhilaration, Annoyance, Contentment, Anger, Utter Happiness, etc.  I’ve felt it all with this hobby.  But quit, only once, when I first started taking this hobby seriously.  It was my first GOTO mount (used) that went south with a run away RA motor after six months.  Thankfully no lake was around.  A good friend, took mercy on me, and loaned me a great (consistently working) CG5. It gave me enough breathing room to start again.  The rest is history and the night sky still amazes me.

#93 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 August 2021 - 07:21 AM

I released a leg on my Oberwerk tripod one night, the metal tip slid down and punched through the toenail on my big toe. Pretty messy. Lesson learned: Never wear flip-flops when observing.

I was out in the backyard barefoot one evening.. Decided to go get another eyepiece.  Headed for the sliding glass door.. 

The door was open but the screen was closed.  When I tried to step through the screen, my foot just slid down the screen and was driven into the concrete door sill.  It made a big, bloody gash where my right toe met my foot.  Blood gushing, my wife took me to the emergency room.

They cleaned it out and stitched it up and put me on antibiotics with mandatory bed stay for 3 weeks.  It did get infected.. Quite a mess.

That didn't deter me from stargazing though I am better but not perfect about observing barefoot.

Jon

#94 mikerepp

mikerepp

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Harwood Heights, Illinois, dark site Manistique, Michigan in UP

Posted 18 August 2021 - 08:52 AM

I wore flip flops about 2 weeks ago.  Carrying my Twilight II head started up the stairs and caught the tip of the flip flop on the underside of the stair lip.  My middle finger on my left hand and the locking knob for alt took the brunt of the fall.   Jammed finger that swelled up like a giant dill pickle and bent/broken locking knobs were the result.   Never again with those **** flip flops!

#95 justfred

justfred

Viking 1

• Loc: Birmingham, Alabama, USA

Posted 18 August 2021 - 09:35 AM

I’ve had a couple of “stop and go” episodes with the hobby. I never wanted to quit. Life would just get in the way sometimes. I’ve even sold dusty equipment. Then one cold and clear night I’d be right back in it just like I’d never left. The last time that happened was in the early 90’s and there’s been no dust on equipment since. 

Fred

#96 rajilina

rajilina

Mariner 2

• Loc: UT, USA

Posted 18 August 2021 - 10:20 AM

The night my shielded street light was replaced with an LED light with no shield.

It's 11PM and this is the moment I almost left the hobby

IMG-9012.jpg

This is similar to what the pickle ball lights look like from my back fence. Only there are THREE lights, and not one. Sigh.

I nicely asked three times for him to put barn doors to control the light to no effect. I finally got the HOA involved. They initially didn't want to step in, but when I insisted that they actually look at the light the immediately send a letter that got it removed. I'm a nice guy and all but when you impede on other people's ability to sleep it draws a line. That was the point my Mr. Nice Guy attitude stopped. I hate that it affects my relationship with them but honestly I don't care, I'm too old to worry about other people's feelings when stuff like this happens.

I no longer care about my neighbor's feelings regarding their lights, because they've more than sufficiently demonstrated that they don't give a rat's behind about mine. I'm not sorry I had to get the city involved, because it was the only way to get the problem stopped. 

• Joe Bergeron, Tom Stock, Diana N and 1 other like this

#97 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 18 August 2021 - 11:45 AM

No flip flops here. Steel toed boots to prevent accidents from dropping ES12-92 ep, and helmet to protect from the counterweights. tongue2.gif lol.gif lol.gif

• mikerepp likes this

#98 GGK

GGK

Apollo

• Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 18 August 2021 - 05:59 PM

Wanting to quit the hobby -- no way.  Wanting to run back inside as fast as I can - yea, a few times when the mosquitos were so thick I couldn't hear anything else and it seemed I'd pass out from loss of blood before making it to safety.  I've done some wilderness hiking over the years, but I think I've learned more about night time nature with this hobby. 

#99 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Apollo

• Loc: Otisco lake. Marietta NY 13110

Posted 18 August 2021 - 08:39 PM

Long before I had my observatory  I took my C8 about 3 miles up to a site I know of that was secluded , dark, and very quiet.

Close to the darling hill observatory  site run by the Syracuse Astro Society,  I set up..  just off the road .

After being there about 20 min on this deserted state land road, two trucks, both jacked up big tires and boonies lights blaring came thundering down the road churning up the dried up dirt road into a fog of dust.  So I pack everything up and move farther away  2 more miles into the stateland... set up and this time a group of 4 wheelers again churning  up the dirt. 

The night was perfect , no moon, clear skies  and very dark... CRAP  

So again I move, this time back towards home to a side road I know of that's rarely traveled. I finally set up , dust everything  off  grab my chair   and some dufus sheriff drives  by, shines his SPOT LIGHT DIRECTLY AT ME.  So much for that night... vision blinded I packed everthing in the trunk and headed home.  Frustration  kept me up the rest of the night and that weekend I decided If I was going to keep going with this hobby  it was sell it all, or build a place I can observe.

It took me weeks to get over that one night, many times I sat and just stared at my C8 on its tripod in the living room wanting to just give it up...  but I didnt. Then one after noon I came upon a listing on CL that changed everything , and it was FREE...

Jumping on it, it was an opportunity I couldn't  pass up ( hint here, it was not a scope,, but an observatory building)

.  So the start of Area 3751 observatory  began...

Another story for another  time..... stevegeo 

#100 Stewc14

Stewc14

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pueblo West colorado

Posted 21 August 2021 - 01:13 AM

Day before yesterday I started setting up3 telescopes for a night of moon and planets. I’m looking on CN constantly. While I was busy I missed the great estate sale that came up for 6 k. I would have gladly paid a lot more and been happy. I receive alerts for some stuff but that came under a different heading. I also didn’t get to buy a storage unit with a collection of Astro gear including several caves, questar12, Astro-physics not to mention the other stuff. Went for 2200. Just wasn’t meant to be.

it makes my losing a 1200 Bino viewer and teleview eyepieces one night due to it not being tightened enough in the scope. I found out later that for some reason it was difficult to really put any heavier stuff in it at the time. What a shocker.

Attached Thumbnails

• CBC0876D-0492-4D30-BFCE-0543554A45FC.jpeg

Edited by Stewc14, 21 August 2021 - 01:18 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics