•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help needed on Jupiter and Saturn colors

astrophotography beginner dob imaging planet
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sassenach

Sassenach

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:16 AM

Dear all,

I'm a relatively new beginner in this hobby but, with the help of forum members, have quickly been tweaking my telescope / setup to take okish pictures.

Unfortunately, I am now hitting a roadblock in terms of the quality of the stacked images (before any post processing).

If I look at other forum member pictures, especially of Saturn, they have far more color variation. For example, the inner ring usually looks almost white while the planet has the usual array of colors.

Could you please explain what I may be doing wrong?

I attach some images soon so you can see my best efforts to date (albeit on a day with poor seeing, hence the slight out of focus). I had to decrease res to get file size suitable for CN.

I am using an iPhone for the images and have seen that this person using an iPhone is capable of getting the better color mix:

https://canadianastr...phone/#comments

So I guess I am missing something! :)

My setup is as follows:

Hardware:

Orion Starblast 6

iPhone 7 Plus in holder (set in telephoto mode)

Orion Shorty 2x barlow

ES52 6.5mm lens

EQ platform

Recording:

Using FiLMiC Pro

4K @30fps, 1/60 shutter speed (locked), ISO varied, white balance set as 5200K (sunlight)

Software:

Using Lynkeos for Stacking, approx 1.5 minute long videos

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Best wishes,

Andrew

#2 Sassenach

Sassenach

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:17 AM

20-09-19_Jupiter_4K_03.png

#3 Sassenach

Sassenach

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:17 AM

20-09-18_Saturn_4K_04.png

#4 Sassenach

Sassenach

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:18 AM

I have invested in Affinity Photo for post processing, but want to understand if I am doing something wrong at earlier stages :)

#5 Sassenach

Sassenach

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:20 AM

Here is an example taken by Andrew Symes with an iPhone 6

Attached Thumbnails

• Andrew Symes.jpg

#6 Tapio

Tapio

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:30 AM

I think you could do better with dedicated astro camera (color or mono with filters).

You could get one for maybe around $150 (ASI, QHY or cheaper alternative Svbony).

Plus sides on these are faster frame rate, more sensivity and not needing to use eyepiece.

Of colors - yours look brown/yellowish. I loaded them in Registax and did automatic color balance and got these.

Also how low/high were planets when you imaged them ?

More difficult to get good color or detail if target is low.

Attached Thumbnails

• jupiter.jpg
  • saturn.jpg

• Sassenach likes this

#7 Sassenach

Sassenach

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:17 AM

Hello, I would say they were acceptably high to take images. I have got myself informed on cameras (I’m looking at the Zwo ASI462), but my interest is really to squeeze out what I can from my iPhone.

I know that people are getting better images, in terms of color, but it’s not clear to me how they are doing it. Ie is it just fudging in post processing to match some pre-existing Hubble-type pic or is the output from recording / stacking genuinely better.

This is what I am really interested in finding out :-)

#8 Sassenach

Sassenach

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 October 2020 - 03:39 AM

Dear Tapio,

You were right on the money. Saturn for me is 20.5 degrees (based in Munich). So I guess the colors are mostly due to altitude. The CN user 'Tulloch' did a nice analysis on this.

Best, Andrew

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, dob, imaging, planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics