•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Basic question about Celestron CGEM II tripod

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nuages

Nuages

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:36 AM

Hello stargazers,

I have a question is basic enough to go in the Beginners Forum, but since it's about a specific tripod I decided to put it here.

Recently I bought a Stellarvue M2C mount secondhand, which came with a tripod which I'm pretty sure is the Celestron CGEM II tripod (says so on the box, and looks like it). One thing I noticed is that two of the legs unfold with a fair amount of friction, so that they require a good pull, but the other leg is looser. I stood the tripod up on the carpet for a couple days, but today when I moved it onto a slick floor, the loose leg started to slide outward under the weight of the tripod (20 lbs). Because tripods moving seems wrong, at first I thought, maybe I should tighten the nut/bolt at the hinge so that all three legs have the same friction, but the nut/bolt seemed pretty tight already.

Then I looked up the manual at celestron.com and it says:

To set up the tripod:

1 Stand the tripod upright and pull the tripod legs apart until each leg is fully extended The tripod will now stand by itself.

Now, if by "fully extended" it means legs splayed out as wide as they will go, the tripod does reach stability because the flat tops of each leg hit the bottom of the tripod head, and that is what prevents them from spreading further. I just want to make sure I have this right, that it's designed to always be used with legs at maximum spread with their tops bracing against the tripod head. I suppose it makes sense in that the amount of friction or looseness in each leg joint becomes moot at that point.

Thanks for your thoughts & CS

Eric

Edited by Nuages, 19 September 2020 - 03:45 AM.

#2 trigger

trigger

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:00 AM

Hello stargazers,

I have a question is basic enough to go in the Beginners Forum, but since it's about a specific tripod I decided to put it here.

Recently I bought a Stellarvue M2C mount secondhand, which came with a tripod which I'm pretty sure is the Celestron CGEM II tripod (says so on the box, and looks like it). One thing I noticed is that two of the legs unfold with a fair amount of friction, so that they require a good pull, but the other leg is looser. I stood the tripod up on the carpet for a couple days, but today when I moved it onto a slick floor, the loose leg started to slide outward under the weight of the tripod (20 lbs). Because tripods moving seems wrong, at first I thought, maybe I should tighten the nut/bolt at the hinge so that all three legs have the same friction, but the nut/bolt seemed pretty tight already.

Then I looked up the manual at celestron.com and it says:

To set up the tripod:

1 Stand the tripod upright and pull the tripod legs apart until each leg is fully extended The tripod will now stand by itself.

Now, if by "fully extended" it means legs splayed out as wide as they will go, the tripod does reach stability because the flat tops of each leg hit the bottom of the tripod head, and that is what prevents them from spreading further. I just want to make sure I have this right, that it's designed to always be used with legs at maximum spread with their tops bracing against the tripod head. I suppose it makes sense in that the amount of friction or looseness in each leg joint becomes moot at that point.

Thanks for your thoughts & CS

Eric

Did your CGEMII come with a leg spreader? It screws under the tripod and pushes the legs to their furthest outward position.

#3 Nuages

Nuages

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:15 AM

I do have the eyepiece tray that goes on the central rod if that's what you mean? So screwing the tray on higher pushes the legs outward until they come to a stop when their tops hit the tripod head, which is the correct position? Thanks

(Btw sorry if this seems obvious. I am new to telescopes, but have used tripods in other applications where the legs could be positioned at different angles)

Edited by Nuages, 19 September 2020 - 04:20 AM.

#4 trigger

trigger

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:40 AM

I do have the eyepiece tray that goes on the central rod if that's what you mean? So screwing the tray on higher pushes the legs outward until they come to a stop when their tops hit the tripod head, which is the correct position? Thanks

(Btw sorry if this seems obvious. I am new to telescopes, but have used tripods in other applications where the legs could be positioned at different angles)

yessir. The legs are adjustable so you can still level the base prior to setting the mount on.

Edited by trigger, 19 September 2020 - 05:41 AM.

• Nuages likes this

#5 Nuages

Nuages

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:08 PM

Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics