•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can a multi-bandpass filter (L-eNhance, ZWO Ha/OIII filter, etc) be used with a mono camera?

astrophotography beginner ccd equipment filters
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ArandomPilot

ArandomPilot

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Winter Park, Colorado

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:50 AM

So, I am getting ready for nebula season as of right now. I have an old SBIG ST-2000XM with a 1.25" filter wheel. I want to know if I should just stick with a normal UHC filter or go with something like a multi bandpass filter. Are they better for mono than a normal UHC filter or should they just be used with color cameras only. I only want to use the data as luminance to boost the detail in things like the Horsehead or some LBN objects. Are there any other suggestions, or should I just stay with the Ha OIII and SII filters? Should I get a skyglow filter, lots of questions, new to mono imaging.

Thanks and clear skies,

Gabe.

Edited by ArandomPilot, 19 September 2020 - 03:52 AM.

#2 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:53 AM

If you are mono imaging it is better to stick with a single band pass for each color and Ha, Oll separate channels. This way you can process each color channel separately and assign a color pallet to each channel. If you were to use a dual band such as a L-extream which collects both Ha and Oll at the same time then you can't separate them in a mono image to assign different colors to Ha and Oll data.  The dual band filter is a way of collecting Ha and Oll on a color camera at the same time as the Bayer matrix in the camera allows separation of the channels for separate processing.   The use of some light pollution filters in mono might be useful in cutting some of the major pollution wavelengths,  but i am not a mono camera user so that question will have to be addressed by someone with mono imaging experience. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, ccd, equipment, filters

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics