•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First PA/guiding with QHY5

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MisterQ

MisterQ

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:44 AM

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for clicking on the topic at all 😊Thanks again if you continue to read!

I am looking at purchasing a second hand QHY5 USB2 CCD and a 60mm guide scope for use with my ExploreScientific iEXOS 100 mount and (right now) my Nikon D5600. I'm going to use the guide scope initially to assist with my polar alignment using SharpCap and then with guiding using PHD2.

Before I buy I am desperately trying to locate some up-to-date (yes, I know the camera is heading towards a decade old!) information on what people still using this same camera have it connected to in the way of PC/laptop operating system. I have a laptop specifically for the purpose so I'm fine installing an alternative OS to it's current Windows 10 Pro. Ideally I'd like to know what drivers and where to get them from and basically if I have any hope of using the camera to do what I'm setting out to do.

Any help at all or pointers on what I really should be aiming to buy instead that's current would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Adam

#2 michael8554

michael8554

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:02 PM

For guiding, the mono version is better, as it is more sensitive than the colour version.

You download the Windows drivers from the QHY website :

https://www.qhyccd.c...&pc_hash=YPE3Yh

My ZWO equivalent to the QHY always found suitable guide stars with a 200mm focal length Guidescope.

• MisterQ likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics