•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

One or Two Eyepiece Recommendations Wanted for a SW 100 ED

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 therealdmt

therealdmt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:48 AM

Just got my new scope today (kinda my first real scope - been using binocs and a plastic educational toy scope up ‘till now), but as there was an issue with the mount and the replacement mount won’t arrive for some days, I have some time to prepare the last piece of the puzzle for my new hobby - eyepieces! The only eyepieces I have at this point are a 2” LET 28mm eyepiece that came included with the 100 ED scope and and a 1.25" 7mm-21mm Svbony zoom. Additionally, I bought an unbranded 2x Barlow that Sky-Watcher sells when I ordered the scope. Since I’ll have at least until next weekend for first light, does anyone have any recommendations for an eyepiece or two that I should pick up so I can have a positive experience with my first few viewing sessions?

I live in a pretty light polluted area with lots of streetlight glare (ugh). My main objective (the thing that made me pull the trigger on this expensive-for-me telescope) is to view Mars at this opposition, with other planetary views being next down on my list in terms of priorities. Besides wanting to see the polar ice cap and surface markings on Mars, I hope to clearly see the cloud bands on Jupiter (and the Great Red Spot, if possible), the Cassini division in Saturn’s rings, Saturn’s moon Titan, and the planets Uranus and Neptune.

After that  target-wise would be Pleiades (pretty different than a planet, I know, but it’s coming into the evening sky now), and, if I stay up late (and then certainly in the weeks/months to come), the Orion Nebula. A biggie on my wish list that I’d love to catch a view of is the Triangulum Galaxy (which I’ve never seen, though I’ve looked for it many times with binoculars), if local conditions would allow. Finally, I’d like to be able to see a bright globular cluster or two if possible, as well as a planetary nebula or two maybe. Some nebulae over in Sagittarius could be cool if the associated tripod arrives in the mail soon enough...

So, basically everything, lol. But the most immediate concern is Mars.

Budget is mid-level. I’m not gonna go with Televue or Pentax or such at this point (I’m just starting out), but I’m not interested in cheap Plossls or Kellners with internal reflections, narrow field of view and poor eye-relief either. From looking online, I was thinking of something along the lines of like an Celestron X-cel LX or Orion Expanse, but it definitely doesn’t have to be either of those specific brands or models; I’m just talking in terms of my general budget area for an eyepiece or two with decent field of view and eye relief that would complement my 1.25" Svbony zoom and possibly the included 28mm LET 2" Kellner to give me a great view of Mars, and maybe a second eyepiece for wider non-planetary targets. Any suggestions will be appreciated! Most Sky-Watcher and Celestron stuff (plus some others) could be picked up at local stores, so that could be cool. No local Orion dealer, unfortunately, but mail order is hardly impossible

Edited by therealdmt, 19 September 2020 - 06:59 AM.

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:06 AM

I don't know if you knew about this thread?
there may be some info for you there .

https://www.cloudyni...-ed-apo-thread/

#3 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:10 AM

The zoom in the barlow should have you mostly covered for high power on planets.

For a low power widefield eyepiece, I'd probably want something with a wider field of view than your 28mm 55° LET provides. 

The 30mm 70° APM 30 UFF is very popular, but not cheap at $230. But it is something that will be of equal quality to your scope.

A Q70, SWAN, or Agena SWA is a little less than half that price and are very popular.

For Pleiades and other larger DSO's you might want something that gets closer to maxing out your true field of view. I have the William Optics SWAN 40mm. And it was a budget buy. And is real easy to look through.

But kiinda wish I had gone with an Omegon Oberon 32mm 82° for about $50 more.

A wide angle medium power in the 68 to 100 degree, 10mm range would be nice also.

An 8.8mm Meade 5000 UWA is reasonably priced for an 82°. Has been on sale for $99 and I think it still is. 

This could be barlowed to just over 200x and be particularly useful at that power if your mount is manual. The 82 degree field would help keep Mars in your eyepiece longer before you have to chase it.

Edited by Echolight, 19 September 2020 - 07:23 AM.

• tony_spina and therealdmt like this

#4 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:31 AM

What mount did you put under it, by the way, really nice first scope.

#5 therealdmt

therealdmt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:45 AM

I don't know if you knew about this thread?
there may be some info for you there .

https://www.cloudyni...-ed-apo-thread/

Yes, I did see it, thanks. I read through the whole thing actually and learned all about the focuser and it’s issues and various possible  replacements and the pluses and minuses thereof! Never actually used the focuser, but I’m ready with all sorts of info from my notes if any focuser issues show up!

Actually, the thing I saw in relation to eyepieces was that the guys having issues with the focuser were having trouble with the focus slipping when using a heavy 2" eyepiece and the scope pointed up towards zenith. With that in mind, I’ve been thinking it might be better for me to go with all 1 1/4" eyepieces and just avoid the whole focuser slipping rigmarole. Somebody else somewhere on some thread I’ve read (maybe that thread, maybe another one though) said that by moving to all 1.25" eyepieces, they now no longer have to spend time re-balancing the scope when changing eyepieces. Now, I’ve never actually re-balanced a scope myself and don’t know how much work/difficult it is in the dark or whatever, but that seemed like it might be a good reason to stick to 1.25"ers, too.

Any thoughts on that?

• sunnyday likes this

#6 therealdmt

therealdmt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:48 AM

The zoom in the barlow should have you mostly covered for high power on planets.

For a low power widefield eyepiece, I'd probably want something with a wider field of view than your 28mm 55° LET provides. 

The 30mm 70° APM 30 UFF is very popular, but not cheap at $230. But it is something that will be of equal quality to your scope.

A Q70, SWAN, or Agena SWA is a little less than half that price and are very popular.

For Pleiades and other larger DSO's you might want something that gets closer to maxing out your true field of view. I have the William Optics SWAN 40mm. And it was a budget buy. And is real easy to look through.

But kiinda wish I had gone with an Omegon Oberon 32mm 82° for about $50 more.

A wide angle medium power in the 68 to 100 degree, 10mm range would be nice also.

An 8.8mm Meade 5000 UWA is reasonably priced for an 82°. Has been on sale for $99 and I think it still is. 

This could be barlowed to just over 200x and be particularly useful at that power if your mount is manual. The 82 degree field would help keep Mars in your eyepiece longer before you have to chase it.

Thanks, I look into those!

Meades are available locally, for one, but lots to read up on there, thanks again.

Oh, and yes, the mount will be manual - an alt-az

Edited by therealdmt, 19 September 2020 - 08:48 AM.

#7 Abhat

Abhat

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:57 AM

I use Explore Scientific 8.8/6.7mm for Jupiter in SW ED100 based on seeing. For Mars I have been using ES 14mm with 3X Barlow. They all work well and have had no issues. Wide field views means less frequent nudging.

• therealdmt likes this

#8 therealdmt

therealdmt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:58 AM

What mount did you put under it, by the way, really nice first scope.

Howdy, SloMoe. Yeah, I’m pretty excited.

I went with an AZ4 alt-az on a 1.75" legged steel tripod. BUT, that’s not what they sent me mad.gif bawling.gif mad.gif

Gotta send it back Monday fercryinoutloud and hopefully the az4 mount/tripod I actually ordered will arrive before next weekend.

I may get a second mount, an EQ one like you suggested, later just to see how it goes. You made a point that really stuck with me about being able to keep something in view with just one knob, especially when passing off the scope to someone else when viewing at higher powers.

One other factor with that is I know my wife really wants to take pictures, so she wouldn’t be against it (though she definitely won’t be thrilled with the price!). She isn’t driven to be an astrophotographer or anything, but she’d just like something to have to post online and say, "Hey, look at the cool thing we’re doing!". Like we went up to a semi-dark bend in the road on a mountain and there was a guy there using his DSLR on a little tripod on the roof of his truck to take pictures of the Milky Way. At the end, my wife was like, "He had some cool pictures" (Me: yeah, definitely) My wife, "And you have...nothing" lol.gif

Like that

Edited by therealdmt, 19 September 2020 - 09:00 AM.

#9 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:02 AM

was his truck roof mount driven?

#10 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:02 AM

I had posted this on the other thread but since you created a separate post I will add it here as well

How much do you want to spend on eyepieces?

The Meade 5000 UWA series,  especially the 5.5mm  is an excellent eyepiece for not so much money.  It's a 82 degree eyepiece

You can use the bottom half of your barlow to give you 1.5x so with the 5.5mm and your scope you will get 163x and 245x

• therealdmt likes this

#11 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:09 AM

I also agree with Echolight's suggestion to buy the 30mm 70° APM 30 UFF.  It is an excellent eyepiece and well worth the price.  Yes it is $230, but you only need to buy once

The other option is to look for a used Tele Vue 35mm Panoptic. It comes up from time to time here on the Cloudy Nights classifieds for sale

• therealdmt likes this

#12 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:21 AM

Warning,,,,,, not all Barlow lens cells can be screwed in to the bottom of any eyepiece and work.

They may screw in but then the fov suffers from aberrations, so don't be surprised when  you try it with your Barlow lens cell  and the edge detail goes to crap.

With your scope edge detail with quality eye pieces will be worth the investment, that I learned first hand.

The above recommended eye pieces are heavy & very heavy, plus they are 2".

When considering eye pieces for your parameters of balance plus, they are not planetary eye pieces, at 30X they will be very bright dots.

Your focal length is 900mm, for planetary viewing you'll want to be up in the 165X range, that would be about 5mm to 6mm and at that with your manual mount you'll want fov, just like a dob, fov is everything for a beginner.

So that points you towards ES 82's and Televue.Nagler, buy once, cry once but when your wife gets a splendid view of detailed planets that might be the lever you need for a decent driven mount for imaging.

Edited by SloMoe, 19 September 2020 - 09:22 AM.

• therealdmt likes this

#13 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:35 AM

Here's a free online fov calculator I've used and recommend when selecting eyepieces,

it supplies fov and mag.  http://www.csgnetwork.com/telefov.html, just fill in the scopes focal length and your eyepiece specs.

With a Panoptic 24 you'll get 1.8 degrees fov at 38X, and that's going to be as wide as you can get in 1.25" eyepieces.

if you stick to quality glass with your higher quality FPL scope you'll never regret it, then when you purchase a higher quality mount,,,,,,, wow. 

• therealdmt likes this

#14 Echolight

Echolight

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:38 AM

If you want wide angle pictures, with the Baader Hyperion Aspheric 36mm you can unscrew  the eyeguard and screw on an M43 adapter to attach a DSLR for eyepiece projection photography.

It´s 36mm 72° and will provide a 2.88 TFoV. Should work reasonably well in an f/9 scope.

astronomy_tools_fov (7).png

http://astronomy.too.../field_of_view/

Edited by Echolight, 19 September 2020 - 09:41 AM.

• Illinois and therealdmt like this

#15 therealdmt

therealdmt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:42 AM

was his truck roof mount driven?

It was just a DSLR on a short camera tripod. He had a shutter that would only stay open for 30 seconds, iirc. Still had some kinda cool shots. Nothing professional or anything, just a guy trying to take a picture of the Milky Way. My wife will be the same way - she likes photography quite a bit, but at the few hundred dollar level, not the few thousand dollar level

#16 therealdmt

therealdmt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:49 AM

How much do you want to spend on eyepieces?

The Meade 5000 UWA series,  especially the 5.5mm

You can use the bottom half of your barlow to give you 1.5x so with the 5.5mm and your scope you will get 163x and 245x

I’ll look into the Meade UWA, though it’s local list price is pushing my budget. Could be cool though

This was the Barlow I got (not with me where I’m staying right now). Do you think this one can be split to 1.5x? - if so, that would be a nice bonus

http://skywatcher.co...-d-barlow-lens/

I didn’t do any research on it - I was running late and as I was wrapping things up at the telescope shop, I remembered I’d seen a few Barlows in the guy’s eyepiece display case and just said, ‘Oh yeah, give me one of those barlows, too" and that’s the one he gave me

#17 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:52 AM

At least you're having fun, this is just a hobby and should be fun, and also rewarding.

What part of the country are you located?

• therealdmt likes this

#18 therealdmt

therealdmt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:53 AM

Warning,,,,,, not all Barlow lens cells can be screwed in to the bottom of any eyepiece and work.

They may screw in but then the fov suffers from aberrations, so don't be surprised when  you try it with your Barlow lens cell  and the edge detail goes to crap.

The above recommended eye pieces are heavy & very heavy, plus they are 2".

So that points you towards ES 82's and Televue.Nagler, buy once, cry once but when your wife gets a splendid view of detailed planets that might be the lever you need

This is the Barlow I got - it wasn’t expensive and it’s kind of unbranded, so it might not be very good:

"Buy once, cry once" - yikes

#19 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:54 AM

oh yeah, forgot to suggest this, when looking at eyepieces check the spec's for their weight.

• therealdmt likes this

#20 therealdmt

therealdmt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:56 AM

At least you're having fun, this is just a hobby and should be fun, and also rewarding.

What part of the country are you located?

I’m on an island off Korea, actually. Not at all as light pollution friendly as that might sound as the local fisherman fish with ultra bright lights (to attract squid and such), plus Korea is street light crazy anymore

#21 therealdmt

therealdmt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:58 AM

oh yeah, forgot to suggest this, when looking at eyepieces check the spec's for their weight.

Yeah, some of these big wide angle guys look like they’ve got some serious heft to them. Meanwhile, my only eyepiece is a Svbony zoom which is very light weight, so I’ve been thinking not to get something too heavy (especially after reading about all the focuser issues with heavy eyepieces in the dedicated ED100 thread

#22 therealdmt

therealdmt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:00 AM

If you want wide angle pictures, with the Baader Hyperion Aspheric 36mm you can unscrew  the eyeguard and screw on an M43 adapter to attach a DSLR for eyepiece projection photography.

It´s 36mm 72° and will provide a 2.88 TFoV. Should work reasonably well in an f/9 scope.

attachicon.gifastronomy_tools_fov (7).png

http://astronomy.too.../field_of_view/

Thanks, that picture really shows the situation

#23 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:05 AM

I’ll look into the Meade UWA, though it’s local list price is pushing my budget. Could be cool though

This was the Barlow I got (not with me where I’m staying right now). Do you think this one can be split to 1.5x? - if so, that would be a nice bonus

I didn’t do any research on it - I was running late and as I was wrapping things up at the telescope shop, I remembered I’d seen a few Barlows in the guy’s eyepiece display case and just said, ‘Oh yeah, give me one of those barlows, too" and that’s the one he gave me

Yes you will be able to screw the Barlow lens off to get 1.5x

• therealdmt likes this

#24 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:06 AM

LOL, I sailed off shore for a while, fishermen don't mind lighting up the ocean, can see them from a hundred miles away.

I read your other post's about your concerns, on the bottom of the focuser in line with your draw tube lock screw is an adjustment screw for tension, tweek it a bit tighter if the draw tube starts to slide.

Doesn't take much, some focusers have two thumb screws, one to lock  it the other to adjust tension, some others have a thumb screw and a socket recessed set screw style, not sure which one is on your scope.

• therealdmt likes this

#25 therealdmt

therealdmt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:07 AM

I use Explore Scientific 8.8/6.7mm for Jupiter in SW ED100 based on seeing. For Mars I have been using ES 14mm with 3X Barlow. They all work well and have had no issues. Wide field views means less frequent nudging.

Another vote for ponying up for wide views! I’m seeing a trend.

So that 14mm w/ 3x Barlow is in effect like a 4.7mm, I guess (but with better eye relief). I guess with a bright planet, there’s no trade off on brightness (I’ve read barlows reduce brightness, iirc?)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics