•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade counter weight system can you balance only in horizontal position!?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:30 AM

Hi all I’m thinking of adapting my exsisting counter weight system which I purposely made myself which consists of up to x4 0.5kg dumbell weights which is attached to an 8mm shaft via wing nuts and washers etc.and I can achieve balance in home position which is set before you align with the Meade sct cassagrain in other words horizontal.i decided to sell the moonlite focuser as apart from extra weight and length the scope was finding it difficult to slew with all the accessories attached a shade over 3.5kg infact which is a lot of weight for an 12” LX90 ACF.and I did post a topic recently and it seems that the problem was to much weight on the rear cell so soon as I attached some weight towards the nose end on the OTA it seemed to slew as per normal and the motor drives in DEC was a lot healthier sounding and no sign of strain.

Anyway I would like to know in how exsactly does the Meade OTA balancing system works compared to mine.as I can manufacture some weights out of mild steel which basically clone the Meade weights.then instead of a groove which runs through the weights to keep manufacture costs down I can drill holes at the centre of the top then slide along 8mm stud bar then tighten up with wing nuts yet again.so it would consist of 1,2 and 3 pound weights (roughly) give or take a few grams.ive heard through the grape vine that I can balance the OTA with all the heaviest accessories attached then balance the scope at an approximate 35-40 degree angle is this true!?

im assuming how this is achieved is placing certain weights up and down the rail or shaft in my case.to balance at an angle however will this add any advantages with my current set up with a couple of 0.5kg which only can be set in one position!? I do understand that some do have 3D type balance counter weight setups which I can truly understand in a observatory in a more permanent setup arrangement or perhaps imaging purposes when balance is crucial.(maybe a tad overkill for a Meade LX90).

And lastly I think I have to be careful here that I don,t try to over engineer I already have as it’s an Azimuth mount at end of day and at some stage I will transfer the OTA to a Equatorial mount for improved goto Acuracy and of course balancing which is needed for perfect goto and tracking in mind.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics