•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

H-Alpha Modification: Full frame or APS-C? (Sony a7iii or a6400)

astrophotography CMOS imaging
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ant-man

ant-man

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 11:48 AM

Hello! 

I have a(nother) dilemma. After deciding that I will go for an H-Alpha modification (vs. Full spectrum) of my camera since I am only interested in astrophotography, I am stuck deciding whether to H-Alpha modify my Full Frame (Sony a7iii) or my APS-C (Sony a6400). 

There is the benefit of "longer reach" of the APS-C, but the Full Frame has better noise control and wider field of view, and in general I get more stable subs with the Full Frame partially because of the IBIS (in body image stabilization). However, Full Frame seems more versatile for landscapes and daytime photography so perhaps just have the dedicated astro camera with the APS-C. 

After getting some moderate success imaging the Andromeda Galaxy with my Full Frame, I wish to pursue more nebulae and other deep sky objects with my telephoto zoom lens (Tamron 70-180mm f2.8). Any suggestions? 

Will the APS-C have enough clarity to capture the nice reds of the H-Alpha emissions? The APS-C is also cheaper so I feel less bad in having it modified. Thank you all! 

Sept 16 - a7iii - Tamron 70-180 at 180 f2.8 - 159x15s ISO 2000 - Andrromeda more color.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, CMOS, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics