•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

flex.exe under windows 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ccaissie

ccaissie

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Whitefield, Maine

Posted 19 September 2020 - 12:00 PM

Alan Adler's flex.exe program, for designing microflexed mirrors, will not run under 64 bit Windows 10.  I have loaded a program called vDOS that allegedly will allow DOS programs to run in Win 10.

I just can't seem to get it running...after launching flex.exe under vDOS, I get a blank screen with a cursor, and no text.

Maybe have to dig up a an old xp machine with 32 bit, but maybe others have gotten this far and found a workaround or solution?

I "finished" a 8f7 mirror, Foucault and Ronchi, and confidently coated it.  At Stellafane it was tested and given thumbs down...I just DPAC'ed it and it is under a bit. 

In early 2000's, I read notes by Bill Kelley on flexing, and flexed a 10" f/6 that was undercorrected.  Later I resolved the issue of keeping the correction when I talked with Alan Adler, who said use a spring to keep the tension.

Since I have proved the value of microflexing, I think I can use this undercorrected 8f7 with a simple flex setup to get that last bit of conic.

I need the program to uncover the tolerances in the wedge and other parameters.

c

Edited by ccaissie, 19 September 2020 - 12:01 PM.

#2 lukasik

lukasik

Vanguard

• Loc: Dacula, Georgia

Posted 19 September 2020 - 12:10 PM

Hi ccaissie,

I've used Dosbox successfully under Win 7 64 bit - don't know about Win 10 though.  You can try it if you wish:

https://www.dosbox.com/

Good luck!

Best regards,

Bob

• hamishbarker likes this

#3 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Moderators
  • Loc: Flossmoor Il.

Posted 19 September 2020 - 12:30 PM

Moved to Software/Computers for a better fit!

#4 hamishbarker

hamishbarker

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:22 AM

I use dosbox and run it on my android phone. it's very convenient to have Alan's  flex, sec and cool programs available on the phone.

#5 han.k

han.k

ASTAP Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: the Netherlands

Posted 26 September 2020 - 12:53 AM

16 bit programs don't run under 64 bit Win10. A 32 bit operating system running in a virtual machine in Win10 64 bit could be solution or maybe this:

https://www.groovypo...ort-windows-10/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics