•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon D3300 for astrophotography

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ddm50

ddm50

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 12:59 PM

Looking to get a second hand Nikon D3300, any experiences or something that's better in the same price range?

#2 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 19 September 2020 - 01:41 PM

The D3xxx series is not a good line for AP. You'd be much better off finding a used D5300, that will allow you to tether your camera to a computer for image capture.

• bobzeq25 and Kevin_A like this

#3 scottsdalejohn

scottsdalejohn

Explorer 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:04 PM

Agreed!  The reason is not that the D3300 is a bad camera but rather the electronics Nikon used in the D3300 are not compatible with astronomy software ( N.I.N.A. , APT etc.)  The D3300 is not capable of 'talking" to the software,  so you will have to do everything manually.

Take a look at KEH.com - they are not the cheapest, but the ratings on their camera are accurate and their prices are a good indicator of the market value.  You can use this information, along with the cost of converting it to astronomy use,if you choose to go down that path, (lifepixel.com and others who advertise on CN) to establish a baseline for having it done yourself or buying a converted camera here on CN.

• 17.5Dob and bobzeq25 like this

#4 ddm50

ddm50

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:45 PM

What about Canon 60D? Any suggestions for a camera at around 300-400 USD (second-hand).

#5 scottsdalejohn

scottsdalejohn

Explorer 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:21 PM

I'm a Nikon shooter, so I will let a Canon user speak to the stability of the 60D.  The Nikon D5300 is a great camera for astro photography  and you will see them come up regularly in the classified section that have been professionally modified  for around $500 . The asking price of the Nikon VS Canon may be a good indicator of the stability for astro photography.

I think a lot of people, me included, start with a DSLR and then move on to astro camera(s) that is/are more suitable for photographing their choice of objects.   

• limeyx likes this

#6 wsbrown

wsbrown

Vostok 1

• Loc: Baxley, GA

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:23 AM

Using Digicam control, I can control my D3400 just like my D5300. I primarly use the D3400 as a grab and go IR camera, but it is nice to have a standby for the D5300 that uses the same chip.

As stated above, get a D5300, not enough price difference to matter.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics