•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Budget PI Desktop Build

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 19 September 2020 - 01:06 PM

I have been doing some research, both on PI's site, and here, and really appreciated this thread. I'm not in a position to go full-on optimized build, but I do feel the need to upgrade from my 2012 Mac Pro, running the Xeon processors that are not AVX-capable CPUs. (I do feel the need for *SOME* speed...lol lol.gif ) So that means no Starnet++ module in PI (or most of the EZ Processing Suite) for me. So instead I'm going to build a budget Linux PC just for running PI. Here's what I've got so far on the list (* = already have)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X with included Wraith Cooler*

MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard*

GeIL ORION AMD Edition 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 32GB (2 x 16GB)

Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4

_________ graphics card (I do have an ASUS GeForce GT 1030 2GB in my cart)

EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply*

Thermaltake Versa H15 Black SPCC Micro ATX Tower Computer Case

As you can see, I don't have a graphics card definitively listed; my understanding is that as of now, PI isn't leveraging GPUs, and while StarNet++ may be able to, it is only configurable in Windows, not in Linux. I'm ok with that for now, and eventually will likely upgrade components in a couple years. I'm wondering what basic graphics card y'all would recommend. My understanding is I really just need something to drive my current monitor (a Dell U2415). I may upgrade the monitor, but that's not in the cards right now (pun intended...wink.gif ).

I do want to emphasize that I am trying to keep overall cost under $700, and I've already got the mobo and CPU ($336, shipped). I'm ok going with a more affordable case, PSU, etc. since a) I'm not going to be streaming any Steam sessions, b) I'm not really worried about the fancy-schmancy RGB capabilities, and c) I will *only* be running PI on this PC, likely in Kubuntu 20.04 w/ KDE Plasma desktop. Right now, with the above listed components and a ASUS GeForce GT 1030 2GB graphics card, I'm at about $675, which I'm very comfortable with. Is there another card that I could save some more money with (for the eventual upgrade of GPUs later if/when PI is upgraded to use them)?

My current machine Benchmarks at 7690 on PI 1.8.8-6 (after I built a RAM disk for Swap folders). I'm hoping I can exceed that with the new build, including gaining the capability to run StarNet++ and the full EZ Processing suite.

Thanks all!!

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:11 PM

I have been doing some research, both on PI's site, and here, and really appreciated this thread. I'm not in a position to go full-on optimized build, but I do feel the need to upgrade from my 2012 Mac Pro, running the Xeon processors that are not AVX-capable CPUs. (I do feel the need for *SOME* speed...lol lol.gif ) So that means no Starnet++ module in PI (or most of the EZ Processing Suite) for me. So instead I'm going to build a budget Linux PC just for running PI. Here's what I've got so far on the list (* = already have)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X with included Wraith Cooler*

MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard*

GeIL ORION AMD Edition 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 32GB (2 x 16GB)

Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4

_________ graphics card (I do have an ASUS GeForce GT 1030 2GB in my cart)

EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply*

Thermaltake Versa H15 Black SPCC Micro ATX Tower Computer Case

As you can see, I don't have a graphics card definitively listed; my understanding is that as of now, PI isn't leveraging GPUs, and while StarNet++ may be able to, it is only configurable in Windows, not in Linux. I'm ok with that for now, and eventually will likely upgrade components in a couple years. I'm wondering what basic graphics card y'all would recommend. My understanding is I really just need something to drive my current monitor (a Dell U2415). I may upgrade the monitor, but that's not in the cards right now (pun intended...wink.gif ).

I do want to emphasize that I am trying to keep overall cost under $700, and I've already got the mobo and CPU ($336, shipped). I'm ok going with a more affordable case, PSU, etc. since a) I'm not going to be streaming any Steam sessions, b) I'm not really worried about the fancy-schmancy RGB capabilities, and c) I will *only* be running PI on this PC, likely in Kubuntu 20.04 w/ KDE Plasma desktop. Right now, with the above listed components and a ASUS GeForce GT 1030 2GB graphics card, I'm at about $675, which I'm very comfortable with. Is there another card that I could save some more money with (for the eventual upgrade of GPUs later if/when PI is upgraded to use them)?

My current machine Benchmarks at 7690 on PI 1.8.8-6 (after I built a RAM disk for Swap folders). I'm hoping I can exceed that with the new build, including gaining the capability to run StarNet++ and the full EZ Processing suite.

Thanks all!!

Fine setup, including the graphics card.  Some people will no doubt tweak it, I see no need.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics