•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EdgeHD 8 - Are these threads ruined?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 doubledoubleswifty

doubledoubleswifty

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 01:41 PM

Hello,

Recently I bought a second hand EdgeHD 8 inch.

There was a Baader Clicklock attached to the rear cell.  The Baader Clicklock was fairly loose and would move around a bit on the slightest movement but not fall off.

When I tried to remove it by turning anti-clockwise - it would not loosen, so I've loosened the screws on the Baader Clicklock to find this.

Do you think the threads are ruined?  What do you think I should to stop it from getting worse?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200919_185131-min.jpg
  • 20200919_185305-min.jpg

#2 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Apollo

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:52 PM

The threads are certainly spoiled but perhaps not ruined.  You could try a piece of sandpaper folded and fit the edge into the threads groove and polish out any roughness.  If successful in doing this, apply some grease and try refitting the mating part carefully by rotating it back and forth to ease it in.  There are several minor differences in the thread standard of these items and it could be that the threads were not completely compatible, as witnessed by its reluctance to screw on fully.

• doubledoubleswifty likes this

#3 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:31 PM

I think those are pretty much gone. But almost nothing can't be repaired. If that part can be removed then you could take it to a machine shop where they could cut away the remnants of the old threads as well as what else would be required to sleeve the outer dimension of it with threads cut on the OD of the sleeve. I always disliked really short threaded parts as they seem designed to fail.

If the part can be removed, then replacing it might be cheaper.

#4 mrki233

mrki233

Vostok 1

• Loc: Carlsbad, CA

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:08 PM

For reference, this is what they should look like.  The same part on my HD looks very different from yours, so this might be some aftermarket piece that replaced the original one.  You could check with Celestron to see if this part is removable and if they could provide a new one.

From your photo, it looks like there is an extra flange on the damaged piece, so this could be attached over the threaded end of the stock piece and it just has to be removed.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5093.jpg
  • IMG_5095.jpg
  • IMG_5096.jpg

Edited by mrki233, 19 September 2020 - 05:13 PM.

#5 doubledoubleswifty

doubledoubleswifty

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:36 AM

For reference, this is what they should look like.  The same part on my HD looks very different from yours, so this might be some aftermarket piece that replaced the original one.  You could check with Celestron to see if this part is removable and if they could provide a new one.

From your photo, it looks like there is an extra flange on the damaged piece, so this could be attached over the threaded end of the stock piece and it just has to be removed.

It looks so different to my one!  I've e-mailed Celestron; hopefully they can give me some advice.

#6 MJB87

MJB87

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:57 AM

Are you certain there isn't a thread adapter inserted over part of the original threads? It is curious how the threads seem to suddenly change diameter. Perhaps at some point a different device was attached that required a thread adapter. Do you have a belt wrench you can use to try to remove it, if in fact it is there?

#7 audioengr

audioengr

Messenger

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:04 PM

Looks to me like the adapter inside the diagonal came out and is still on the rear cell.  I would put a channel-lock plier on it and try to unscrew it off of there.

#8 doubledoubleswifty

doubledoubleswifty

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 02:30 PM

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!

Turns out that black part with the silver/gray in my picture is actually part of the Baader Clicklock.

With the use of elastic bands I managed to get it unscrewed.

I think the screws on the Baader Clicklock became loose which is why this part was still attached to the rear cell.

Thank you guys so much for your advice, it really depressed me to think that I spent so much money on a broken telescope.

I feel so relieved right now :-)

• tjay and mrki233 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics