•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cem70 USB Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CBaker007

CBaker007

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago Suburbs, IL

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:15 PM

Wondering if anyone here might have a CEM70 and be able to help. I just received my CEM70a (USB2 version without WiFi).  For some reason I can't seem to figure out why I can't get the top USB ports to work.  I have a connection from my computer to the bottom USB A port and I can connect to the mount from my computer. That works fine.  But if I plug in something to the top USB ports like my guide camera (needs pwr over USB) or my imaging camera (does not need pwr), they don't work.  Everything works fine when direct to my computer.  It is like the top USB ports are dead. 

Is there a driver or something I need to install?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

#2 CBaker007

CBaker007

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago Suburbs, IL

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:55 PM

Okay, figured it out.  Still scratching my head why, but I figured it out.   They only give you one USB-A to USB-B cable.  I had plugged it into the iPolar to do the alignment but then moved that to the mount USB-B connection.   After reading the manual for the 10th time, I see that they indicate the dovetail saddle USB-A ports (though they get power from the mount power supply - I tested that), their USB connection if through the iPolar USB-B port, not the mount USB-B port.  So it appears you have to have two USB cables to the mount, 1 for the mount and 1 for the iPolar.     I guess I will be confirming that part.

#3 barrabclaw

barrabclaw

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southern Wisconsin

Posted 19 September 2020 - 11:11 PM

Yes you've got it exactly right in your second post. You'll need two USB cables. I think for the CEM70G you can use a single one, but I wasn't up for paying the extra $400 for the upgrade.

I actually have a third running directly from my camera, through the dec axis, and out the back to my laptop. I wanted a direct USB3 connection from camera to laptop. Plus, the three in the saddle hub are taken with guide cam, filter wheel, and focuser.

-Brendan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics