•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASI224MC Camera compared to a DLSR

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bluesilver

bluesilver

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:13 PM

Hi,  I have a Skywatcher Evostar 150ED and currently been using a DLSR for taking Planetary video.

I was just interested to here anyone's thought or advise on what the ZWO ASI224MC Camera is like for Planetary work.

It might be a silly question,  but will i get better results using this Hi,  I have a Skywatcher Evostar 150ED and currently been using a DLSR for taking Planetary video.

I was just interested to here anyone's thought or advise on what the ZWO ASI224MC Camera is like for Planetary work.

It might be a silly question,  but will i get better results using this ZWO ASI224MC Camera compared to my DLSR  ( 5 DSR )

The main reason is as some might know,  you can't get true 1:1 ratio with a DLSR when recording video unless you use a special program like Backyard EOS.

I don't have this,  just using the DLSR as it is at the moment.

If the ZWO ASI224MC Camera is a better option,  is there anything else that i need to get with it ?

I have read somewhere that some are saying you need a IR blocking filter if using on planets,  something like this from badder :

https://www.firstlig...cut-filter.html

Do i need to use a barlow with this ZWO ASI224MC Camera or is the magnification all done via the software in the camera?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.  ( 5 DSR )

The main reason is as some might know,  you can't get true 1:1 ratio with a DLSR when recording video unless you use a special program like Backyard EOS.

I don't have this,  just using the DLSR as it is at the moment.

If the ZWO ASI224MC Camera is a better option,  is there anything else that i need to get with it ?

I have read somewhere that some are saying you need a IR blocking filter if using on planets,  something like this from badder :

https://www.firstlig...cut-filter.html

Do i need to use a barlow with this ZWO ASI224MC Camera or is the magnification all done via the software in the camera?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 walkman

walkman

Sputnik

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:39 PM

Hi, bluesilver,

You will probably get better advice if you post this question in the Solar System Observing & Imaging forum found under Astrophotography and Sketching.

I would venture to say that you would get better results with the ASI224MC camera versus your DSLR.  An IR blocking filter and a 2X barlow would give you the best results.

Sonny

• PhotonJohn and FlorinAndrei like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics