•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

strange sound on skywatcher star-discovery

accessories DIY equipment mount
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guydive

Guydive

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NYC/TLV

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:02 AM

a friend dropped a skywatcher star-discovery mount to check out. 

it just makes this weird sound when I move it full speed on azimuth axis. sound is the same even when not mounted with an OTA:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

mount works just fine, go-to and tracking are fin, but I think this is something waiting to happen.

what do you think it is?

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:20 AM

Love the first line. lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif

OK, sounds almost normal to me. Those things are generally not quiet. Does half seem to be a secondary click/scrape sound as if a bit tight but could be normal. Has anyone been digging around inside it?

What is it like if the max slew rate is reduced?

You have few options: Live with it and wait. Take it apart and check and reseat and check all gears are correctly aligned and meshing right. If taken apart the scraping type noise could be the gears are to "tight" with each other. People tend to jam them into place and get it wrong.

Suppose did friend drop it in to you because they have been poking around and got it wrong?

Guess it is a DC motor not a stepper.

#3 Guydive

Guydive

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NYC/TLV

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:00 AM

Love the first line. lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif

OK, sounds almost normal to me. Those things are generally not quiet. Does half seem to be a secondary click/scrape sound as if a bit tight but could be normal. Has anyone been digging around inside it?

What is it like if the max slew rate is reduced?

You have few options: Live with it and wait. Take it apart and check and reseat and check all gears are correctly aligned and meshing right. If taken apart the scraping type noise could be the gears are to "tight" with each other. People tend to jam them into place and get it wrong.

Suppose did friend drop it in to you because they have been poking around and got it wrong?

Guess it is a DC motor not a stepper.

I know... wink.gif 

It's his first setup. He never got it to do the go-to thing properly, so he dropped it off for me to check. I couldn't get it to work either, but then I just replaced the Synscan HC with my dobsonian's HC, and it worked fine. I'm guessing it's just a bad HC.

The noise was something else I noticed when slewing. As said before - mount work and tracks fine, but I'm wondering if it's worth fiddling with, to prevent a long term damage, if indeed let's say gears are misaligned or to tight

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, DIY, equipment, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics