•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Shipping miracles

classic refractor
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:47 AM

Finally, the classic late 1950s? 60mm Tasco arrived.About three weeks in transit from East Coast to Indiana! It was sitting next to my mailbox last afternoon. Shipped September 1,arrived September 19.Easy to recognize as NO outside packaging just some clear tape and shipping labels ! 

This is the Craigslist scope posted in classic ads thread last month or maybe July?

Pictures when I figure out how to get from phone Gallery ap.  "Expletive deleted" google updated aps on phone and it doesn't work as before.I am so sick of forced updates and upgrades that wreck my use of computers and phones.

Tried to get closeup of odd little symbol at end of serial number but failed. Looks like a Japanese character similar to a leaning pine tree in a circle.

Interior of box packed with newspapers and washcloths and nothing broken . Scope missing dewshield but luckily objective cap there protecting lenses.Missing a couple of the eyepieces and one focuser kno b. One of the large screw threads fastening the tripod yoke and mount is stripped but other side holds well.

Manual included and legible although torn.

Interesting that the mount is designed and manual illustrations show using in azimuth-elevation for terrestrial and equatorial for astronomy uses. 

Objective clear and images appear usual. Eyepieces need cleaning. Eyepieces are HM volcano style in 6,12.5, and 20mm. Two empty eyepiece slots in box.

Probably paid too much for this .The ebay one appeared better and will compare when unpack as it has been waiting patiently a couple weeks while work took priority.

Didn't really expect to "win"both.

Edited by BigC, 20 September 2020 - 07:53 AM.

• Wisconsin Steve, steve t, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#2 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:51 AM

Serial 0461522 if anyone care.

60mm and 910mm.

#3 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:59 AM

"Looks like a Japanese character similar to a leaning pine tree in a circle." .....  I'm picturing the RAO logo.

#4 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:01 AM

Congrats on your double win!

You NEVER pay too much, unless and until you sell them.  Then, at least in my experience, you probably paid too much. lol.gif

• BigC and TSSClay like this

#5 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:07 AM

"Looks like a Japanese character similar to a leaning pine tree in a circle." .....  I'm picturing the RAO logo.

If its RAO then I feel much better about the price.

#6 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:17 AM

Unpacked the ebay 1059s? 60x910 Tasco and less pleased. Selled packed fairly well and used cardboard exterior box-neede because wood box rough. 

Missing eyepiece holder! and no finder! Focuse tube large may take Vixen adapter(hoping).

Letter style different,no maker's symbol.Serial 054166.

Unusual main tube holder:two screws bear against side of main tube.Probably had some kind of buffer strip now long gone. Mount doesn't have azimuth locking screw feature.

Eyepieces are .965 Or4,Sr4, and Hm6.

Has dewshield but no cap,objective needs cleaning.

At least my cats like the shipping carton. Two of them are lying in it already!

Some people buy lottery tickets; I gamble online that an item will be good..

Actually did receive all as pictured in ebay listing;should have looked closer. But others bid seriously so must have value..

Edited by BigC, 20 September 2020 - 09:22 AM.

• steve t, Terra Nova and GreyDay like this

#7 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:29 AM

I'm about done except still watching for good deal on just a few that pique my interest: 60mm f20,80mm f20, and 4 inch f15 or f16.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics