•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

An introduction and request

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Tim J Fowler

Tim J Fowler

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:03 AM

Greetings, I've been lurking for a while now, but I thought it time for an introduction. I first started this hobby when I was in my early teens, 40+ years ago. We had a dark room in our house when I was growing up and my father and I managed to get one good picture of the moon before life got in the way. So that was my experience with astrophotography back then. I had an 8" Newtonian for years that I used for visual astronomy only, but sold it because
I wanted something...fancier, for lack of a better word. Several years ago, I bought a used 8" LX90 EMC without realizing it had a broken R.A. Casting. The recent visit by Comet Neowise kind of kick started me into getting the LX90 fixed. I joined this forum and found a used LX90 fork assembly for sale. Thanks, Cosmo Geezer! Long story shortened, the LX90 is now repaired, but I haven't had much time to play with it due to weather and work. Just a few short sessions to mainly get familiar with it, but I did use my Canon T3i to get a few pictures in the process. Before that, I've been mostly using the T3i for taking pictures of the Milky Way, Moon and the Solar Eclipse back in 2017. I've included a few pics to show where I've been and where I'm at in learning astrophotography, and photography as well for that matter! I know the planetary and Ring Nebula images aren't the greatest. That's how it works, right? Start bad, get better. I'm in it for the fun of it, as I'm sure most of you are. I hope to learn from you kind folks as I proceed in this hobby of observing, and now photographing, the wonders overhead, and since I'm sure you've all been down a similar path to the one I'm currently taking, I was hoping you might recommend any accessories or software I may still need that I haven't thought of. I plan to eventually get a dedicated CCD/CMOS camera because I know the Canon is limited in what it can deliver, but that is for the future. Right now, I'm happy taking pictures with what I have, camera and telescope wise.

My current list of equipment and software is:
Meade 8" LX90 EMC
ScopeStuff 2" Diagonal
Celestron 1.25 T-Adapter
Generic Canon to T-Adapter ring
Canon T3i/600D
Meade F/6.3 Focal Reducer/Field Flattener
Celestron Omni 2X Barlow
Orion 1.25 Extension Tube
Gosky 1.25" Variable Adapter
Unbranded 40mm Plossl
Meade 26mm Super Plossl
SVBony 7-21mm Zoom Eyepiece (that I haven't been able to try yet)
Meade PL 5mm (which for my old eyes is about as useful as an elevator in an outhouse)
The software I have, but haven't come close to learning is DSS, PIPP, AutoStakkert, Registax, SiriL,
GIMP, Darktable, Raw Therapy, Sequator and BackyardEOS. Seems like a lot!

Anyway, sorry for the long winded introduction.
Clear Skies, Tim

Attached Thumbnails

• Moon 02-07-2015.jpg
  • 2017 Solar Eclipse Baileys Beads.jpg
  • Neowise 07-11-2020.JPG
  • Neowise 07-12-2020.jpg
  • M57 09-26-2020.jpg
  • Burrells Overlook Milky Way.jpg
  • Saturn 08-29-2020.jpg
  • Saturn 09-06-2020.jpg
  • Jupiter 08-29-2020.jpg
  • Jupiter Io and Europa 09-06-2020.jpg

• cookjaiii and Gipht like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics