•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iPolar

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MHamburg

MHamburg

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:49 AM

Hello All,

Thinking of getting an iPolar from ioptron. Does anyone have any experience with this accessory (good, bad, or indifferent)?

Thanks for the input.

Michael

#2 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:59 AM

I have an iPolar that came with my GEM45 and am thinking of putting one on my Celestron AVX.  The down side is of course that you have to bring a computer with you (but only for a few minutes while you polar-align).  But I really enjoy getting a good polar alignment in just a few minutes.

The iPolar works even if Polaris is hidden by trees, as long as it can still see a good many stars in its 8x11-degree field.  This is ideal in my situation, where Polaris is about one degree below the top of a tree.

• B 26354 likes this

#3 B 26354

B 26354

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:20 AM

As usual, I'm totally with Mr. Covington on this one.

I personally don't like the idea of using a laptop for any part of my observing or AP... but in this case, I use a tablet-sized one for the iPolar alignment on my iOptron CEM25P, and then put it back in the house once the alignment's done. Being able to achieve AP-accurate polar alignment in less than five minutes (ten minutes, max) is just incredible... and incredibly easy. As far as I'm concerned, the iPolar is worth its weight in gold.  grin.gif

#4 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Viking 1

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois (60010)

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:46 AM

My CEM40 came with it (early spring) and I never looked back. I actually bought one to use with my two CEM25's.

#5 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:31 PM

If you have more than one iPolar, the question arises how to keep the calibration data (dark frame and center position) for more than one iPolar on the same computer.

I hope iOptron will address this.  In the meantime, one way is to make more than one account under Windows, install iPolar on all of them, and log into the one corresponding to the one  you want to use.

The dark frame is kept in the folder with the iPolar software, but the center position is kept in the Registry (per-user). 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics