•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon Nikkor 200mm, f/2 IF-ED

NV
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chemisted

chemisted

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:11 AM

I just noticed that this lens has come up for sale on Astromart and since I have mentioned a number of times that I have used such a lens for wide field H-alpha views I think I should comment on it.  The item for sale is somewhat different than my version as it is the last design iteration and mine was one of the first ones made.  Quoting from the Nikon Compendium by Hillebrand and Hauschild: "It was optimized in 1986 and fitted with a two-piece lens hood, a slip-in gelatine filter holder, and an integrated UV-filter in front of the first element."  In addition, it is slightly longer and 10% heavier than my version.  I have never seen this version in person so I am just going by published specs.

I am not a member of Astromart and do not know the seller and, quite honestly, had never paid attention to the fact that different versions of this lens had been made.  As I have said before, I really like the one I have and use it whenever the target is not too high in the sky.

#2 slavicek

slavicek

Ranger 4

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:26 PM

I was looking at this lens (200mm f/2) but then I went for even crazier Canon 200mm f/1.8. I've done some modifications to it to work with NV. The last thing I need to do is to modify the lens filter holder to hold standard 2" filters. Unfortunately, our club closed the machine shop 6 month ago (due to corona virus) so I am kind of stacked. In the meanwhile, I "jammed" my 5nm Ha filter into the lens filter holder and tried to observe with it. Nebulas seemed to be dimmer in the 200mm f/1.8 lens than they are in my 75mm f/1.8 lens. So my feeling is that the fast cone of light affects how the Ha filter performs.

My question is, how narrow Ha filters do you use with your 200mm f/2 and have you experienced or are you suspicious of how Ha filter perform at f/2?

#3 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hellertown, PA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:25 PM

If I am reading your post right you put the filter in front of the lens?  The 75 1.8 should be brighter but with a smaller image scale.

#4 chemisted

chemisted

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:13 PM

Since my lens does not have the filter holder I use the tried and true method of gluing a filter ring inside the Nikon to c-mount adapter and screwing into it an Astronomik 1.25" 12nm H-alpha filter.  The views could not be better and correlate well with those I get with my Nikkor 105mm f/1.8.  Lucky for me I live under very dark skies so I never use any more aggressive H-alpha filtration than the 12nm.  I have a 7nm but absolutely cannot stand the loss of stars that that filter causes.

• The Ardent likes this

#5 Linwood

Linwood

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ft Myers, Florida, USA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:33 PM

I owned the last version of the 200/2 that was made. (technically a G IF-ED VR II).  It had a single piece hood.  It was one of the sharpest, cleanest lenses I every used, I frequently used with the 1.4x (so a 280/2.8) and while some friends with 300/2.8's would disagree, I think it was better than it. 

I let it go when I switched to Sony. 

One good aspect of it, as an F mount with 46.5mm flange depth, so there's plenty of room to put stuff behind it including a AP camera.  The drop in filter holder is an option as well, I'm having a drop in made by Astronomik for example, they will make to size if you can't get them off the shelf. 

When I started doing astrophotography it was my one regret of letting go of the Nikon gear -- Sony has nothing like that lens, 85/1.4 and then a 400/2.8, they still don't have a 300/2.8 and no one seems to expect a 200/2.  Which is a shame, as I found the 200/2 (with a 1.4x) far, far more versatile than the 300/2.8. 

Sorry, I ramble... if you want a complete (I think complete) list of Nikon lens versions, try here: http://www.photosynt...kon/lenses.html

It says there were 6 versions of that lens. 

• chemisted likes this

#6 slavicek

slavicek

Ranger 4

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:36 PM

If I am reading your post right you put the filter in front of the lens?  The 75 1.8 should be brighter but with a smaller image scale.

Yes, you got it, I use the 2" Ha filters in front of the 75mm f/1.8. Hence there is no issues with having the filter in the f/1.8 cone. I thing the image should have the same brightness in f/1.8 lens, regardless it's aperture. The only difference should be the size of the image. Of course we are using NV device with the lens.

The 200mm f/1.8 lens has aperture 110mm. Having have done custom 110mm Ha filter for it would probably be $$$$$$$$$! I am even afraid to ask about it lol.gif

#7 Linwood

Linwood

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ft Myers, Florida, USA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:42 PM

The 200mm f/1.8 lens has aperture 110mm. Having have done custom 110mm Ha filter for it would probably be $$$$$$$$$! I am even afraid to ask about it lol.gif

The replacement lens hood for it, 4 years ago when I needed one, was over $600. I can't imagine what a filter that size would be, but the drop in filter slot wouldn't be bad. 

#8 slavicek

slavicek

Ranger 4

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:48 PM

Since my lens does not have the filter holder I use the tried and true method of gluing a filter ring inside the Nikon to c-mount adapter and screwing into it an Astronomik 1.25" 12nm H-alpha filter.  The views could not be better and correlate well with those I get with my Nikkor 105mm f/1.8.  Lucky for me I live under very dark skies so I never use any more aggressive H-alpha filtration than the 12nm.  I have a 7nm but absolutely cannot stand the loss of stars that that filter causes.

Canon lens have filter holder so I will try to utilize that first. If that does not work then I will do what you've done. My problem is that most of my filters are 2" size. I can modify the C-mount to Canon adapter to hold the 2" filters but I need machine shop, which is now not accessible. I hope that will all change with the Corona vaccine.

Anyway, my NV preferred nebula filter is 5nm, dark site or suburbs. Maybe I should experiment with other filters first.

#9 slavicek

slavicek

Ranger 4

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:55 PM

The replacement lens hood for it, 4 years ago when I needed one, was over $600. I can't imagine what a filter that size would be, but the drop in filter slot wouldn't be bad. 

Yes that's the easiest solution. Actually that's too easy! First I have to try it the hard way...

But seriously I plan to visit Chroma filters some time next year. I will talk to them about my contraption and I will see what they have to say.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics