•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASIStudio problems on Mac?

ccd imaging astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wbruce00

wbruce00

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 02:37 PM

My ASIStudio disconnects from camera when I take exposures longer than 2 seconds. I restart the program and my computer multiple times and it eventually starts working. I noticed turning off bluetooth helped a few times, but sometimes nothing else is running and I have this problem. Is it a Mac glitch? Anyone know any work arounds? THANKS!

#2 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:25 AM

It would help if you disclosed some details of your setup. I have ASIStudio on a 2020 MacBook Air running fine in Catalina 10.15.6, with a ASI533 and 120MM Mini via the cable that shipped with the 533 and a USB-A to C dongle.

I almost never shutdown the MacBook - it's sleeping when not used, and all i do is plug in the camera(s), and select one in ASI Studio.

Runs flawlessly in OSX, Windows 10 is what I find painful.

Edited by luxo II, 21 September 2020 - 04:28 AM.

• wbruce00 likes this

#3 wbruce00

wbruce00

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:45 AM

I am using an old mid-2012 Macbook Pro running Mojave 10.14.2, and it works on first try ca. 50% of the time. My wife has a newer 2018 Macbook Pro (Mojave 10.14.6), and it has never worked on hers. I assumed it might be a power issue with the USB as she has to use a dongle to use USB. 

It seems to always work when I'm doing darks (and have cooler plugged in), which might suggest this is supplementing the power maybe? My failures usually occur when I'm focusing etc. and haven't yet powered the cooler. Ideas?

THANKS!

#4 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Apollo

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:21 AM

iMac, ASI 1600 MC, ASI 183 MC and ASI 462 MC all work fine with no issues (ASIStudio).  USB 3 is almost required for the larger frame cams, so I would look there first.  Mark sure USB Limit is set to 100% after cam is connected and a newer version became available a few days ago, so you might want to update if you are running an older version... Pat Utah smile.gif

Just an update...Today I connected my 183 cam using the new Flat USB cable from ZWO (doing some desktop runs) and low and behold it disconnected every time I moved a control.  Used the older round USB cable from ZWO (installed on my telescope rig) and presto all disconnect problems went away.   :)

Edited by Alien Observatory, 22 September 2020 - 03:17 PM.

#5 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:45 PM

I am using an old mid-2012 Macbook Pro running Mojave 10.14.2, and it works on first try ca. 50% of the time. My wife has a newer 2018 Macbook Pro (Mojave 10.14.6), and it has never worked on hers. I assumed it might be a power issue with the USB as she has to use a dongle to use USB. 

Might be hitting limits on the power available on USB ports - OSX deliberately throttles it when running on battery. Try a powered USB hub between the camera and Mac.

• wbruce00 likes this

#6 wbruce00

wbruce00

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:14 PM

Does connecting the power to the cooler do anything to add to the overall power? When I do darks I don't seem to have the problem--I thought maybe that's because I always have cooler plugged in.

If that doesn't work I'll try the powered USB hub. Can you use powered USBs to run a longer cable? I have considered running it 12-15 feet into the house when it starts to get cold.

#7 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:58 PM

Does connecting the power to the cooler do anything to add to the overall power?

No there's no connection - USB supplies 5V while the cooler uses 12VDC.

If you want to go further I'd do it via WiFi, not long cables.

Edited by luxo II, 23 September 2020 - 10:59 PM.

#8 soundblaster59

soundblaster59

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 October 2020 - 12:14 PM

I'm just getting my new asi385mc set up.  I've downloaded the ASISstudio on my 2019 MacBook but I can't seem to get the image focussed on my laptop and I'm not sure how to use/integrate the different apps in studio? Any helpful hints?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ccd, imaging, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics